Sharepoint List Lookup Column

Copper Contributor

Hi all, your help would be greatly appreciated. 

I made a lookup column that is aiming to lookup values from a large list (over the 5,000 threshold). I believe this means it will not work as there are too many entries (the entries are different items). 

I was just wondering how I can get around this bearing in mind I have limited experience with SharePoint so a step-by-step guide would help. 

I have seen that Indexing can be used, but I'm unsure on how/what this exactly is or aims to achieve. 

I have also seen that various programming can be used, but again, I'm unaware if I have access to this as a simple user or where to find this. 

This data list is also available through SAP and an Excel, I am also unsure if this would help in retrieving the data so the other columns can be autofilled?

I did have an idea of perhaps breaking up my data and only letting certain areas of my office use each database to input so that only they are dealing with their respective items. Whilst I think this may work, ideally I'd have all the data in one spot for ease of reporting. 

Screenshot of Issue:

This will continually load if I try input some of the known Material Numbers.

Thank you again for any insight you can bring. Even if such a task is going to be hard to achieve I would like to know or if I need to perhaps look at further IT involvement.

0 Replies