SOLVED

sharepoint list item disappears when being edited

Copper Contributor

Hello,

when the user click/open an item from the sharepoint list some content on the field disappears and when try to edit the content on the field is gone and has to be re-entered. it was not like before when i created the sharepoint list but all of a sudden this happens. does anybody had the same experience?
see picture below.

SnipImage.JPG

6 Replies
best response confirmed by Abbyamante (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hey @Abbyamante, as an author of a list you can look at the list settings, then click in advanced list options. In the category about who can read or edit an item, normal members may have only a reading permission, not an edit permission. The restriction is quite new. If you are a normal (member) user thus, you are not allowed to edit original data. In the same options page there is another option to block the QuickEdit and the informations panel at  the right side of a list. Only a suggestion where the cause comes from. Greets, Eva.

Hi @Eva Vogel 

I have the same problem but can't find any category where I can choose who can edit. Furthermore, I'm having the same problem in different lists from different sharepoint, regardless I'm just a member o an admin.

Plus, I asked a collegue to try editing and for him everthing is working as expected.

I'm desperated, I need to edit those list elements without loosing any data.

Can you help me please?

MartaGM_0-1634802221628.png

Thanks

@MartaGM maybe some of the other list owners / site owners restricted the permissions on this list. Can you specify what you can see on the right top of your sharepoint Site, List Page? pls see screenshot. I think you are a member, but they gave you restricted permissions only for that list, but only a guess.. Sometimes Admins or site owners are not so trustful to new users :\ and they distruss others to edit the items of a list. You should ask your site owner on this issue, I suppose. He or she should give you the right permissions to do your work respectfully.

EvaVogel_1-1634811973565.png 

EvaVogel_2-1634812194028.png

Hope that helps. Kind regards, Eva.

@Eva Vogel having the same problem here.

It seems to be something related to cookies.

When I delete cookies I'm able to see data correctly again, but after navigating in sharepoint for a few time the problem is there.

What can be done to resolve the issue?

Untitled 1.jpg

@Eva Vogel [Verified with Edge, but also happening with Chrome] I've just verified that as soon as I delete only the cookies related to sharepoint website the Sharepoint List works correctly, and as soon as I reload the page the problem is there.... 

We have 2 users in our tenant having similar experience. User A and B are both members to a SharePoint site, the site and list are newly created - no changes to any default settings/permissions.
A entered a list item with tile and other values, when B opens the same item, B can only see the title - other values to the item are empty. B enters new value and save, original values input by A are all gone.
Tried to clear Edge browser cache for B, still see the same behaviour.
Can anyone help on this one?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Abbyamante (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hey @Abbyamante, as an author of a list you can look at the list settings, then click in advanced list options. In the category about who can read or edit an item, normal members may have only a reading permission, not an edit permission. The restriction is quite new. If you are a normal (member) user thus, you are not allowed to edit original data. In the same options page there is another option to block the QuickEdit and the informations panel at  the right side of a list. Only a suggestion where the cause comes from. Greets, Eva.

View solution in original post