SOLVED

SharePoint list Custom view specific permission

Brass Contributor
Hi fellow users,
I have a large SharePoint list. I have created few custom views to share with other departments.

My question is about custom view specific permissions. Say, user1 to have permissions to have read access on “view A” but not to other saved views. Similarly user2 to have permissions to have read access on “view B” but not other saved views.

Any hint is highly appreciated.

Thanks
C1
9 Replies
best response confirmed by cad-one (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@cad-one 

If you are using SharePoint on-premise version or classic pages/lists in SharePoint online then you can set Target Audiences on list view. That might help you to achieve this. Check below video link for step by step explanation:

SharePoint Views with Audience Targeting 

If you are trying to achieve this in SharePoint online/2019 modern experience then currently there is no way to limit list view access based on user permissions.

Please click Mark as Best Response if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap 

I am  using the SharePoint online. I hope they bring this lovely feature back.

Thanks

C1

@ganeshsanap 

I understand with SharePoint online list views, we can't control permissions. 

But, can I email a link of a view, to a specific person? I don't want others to see that view because there are few confidential columns made visible.

Thanks

C1

@cad-one 

Sending a link of specific list view via email will not restrict user from seeing other list views. If user knows how to switch the list view in SharePoint online then they can switch and see other list views from view selection dropdown:

View selection dropdown.PNG

User can switch the list views even via List web part added on site page (I have tried this before).

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@cad-oneDo you have any update regarding this? Is there any way we can copy the filtered view into different folder and give separate permissions to that folder? Please reply! 

@Sayali112 

Hello,

I had this same issue and found a work around. I copied the SharePoint list which was very easy using the MS Lists interface and created a Flow in Power Automate to sync the desired data.  I hope this helps you.

@mrscloud2014  can you please provide some more detail on how you achieved this in Power Automate

any updates or can we resurface this conversation to get MS to create it somehow ?
+1 for those wishing MS would implement audience targeting for list views in Sharepoint Online!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by cad-one (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@cad-one 

If you are using SharePoint on-premise version or classic pages/lists in SharePoint online then you can set Target Audiences on list view. That might help you to achieve this. Check below video link for step by step explanation:

SharePoint Views with Audience Targeting 

If you are trying to achieve this in SharePoint online/2019 modern experience then currently there is no way to limit list view access based on user permissions.

Please click Mark as Best Response if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

View solution in original post