SharePoint List - Create ID # without filling out required fields

Copper Contributor

I have a problem that I don't know how to resolve:

We have a SharePoint list and we use the list to store our reports. We complete about ten reports per month and the columns list things like  start date, end date, status, result of report, summary, rating etc. 

Some of these fields are required to be filled out and some are not.

The issue though is that at the beginning of the month, we add all of the new upcoming reports to the list and leave the status as In Progress. We do this so that we can generate an ID number from SharePoint (that number is then written on our report). Once the report is complete a couple weeks later, the team lead goes back into the SharePoint list, fills out the the remaining columns with their results and flips the status to complete.

If I put restrictions on each column, like making certain fields required, it will prevent us from being able to generate an ID# because when we create the ID # at the beginning of the process, we would have to fill out the required fields which we can't do until it is complete. How can move forward with this? 

5 Replies

@ex0dus2023 I think the only way is to not make the columns required.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@ex0dus2023 I think the only way is to not make the columns required.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

You could fulfill such a requirement using two different content types.

On one the fields are not required but they are on the other one. Then you just have to change the content type of an item to make the fields required. (Of even have different fields on both content types that activate or deactivate)

But you might have to set up your whole list again.

To set this up, g to "Site Information"->"Site Settings"-> "Site Content Types".

Create a new content type and name it i.e. "BaseList" or whatever name.
Choose the parent category "List Content Types" and the parent content type "Item".
Create the columns you need on that content type.

Then create another content type named "BaseListRequire" or whatever name.
Choose the parent category "Custom Content Types" and the parent content type "BaseList".
This content type will inherit the same fields as "BaseList".
Edit the fields you want to make required and make them required in that content type.

Then create an empty list and go to the list settings.
Select "Advanced Settings" and enable "Allow management of content types?".

Then add both content types "BaseList" and "BaseListRequire" to that list.
All columns from the content type will automatically be added to the new list.

Change the order of the content types so that BaseList is the default content type.
Hide or even remove the old default "Item" content type.

If you now enter data into that list, it will be of the content type "Baselist" and will not have any required fields.
But if you edit a row in that list you will be able to switch the content type to "BaseListRequire".
Now the fields you wanted to be required will be required in that list item.
How do you do the "switch the content type to BaseListRequire"

Hi @MonteOMC 

You get that option on i.e. the item edit form, once you enabled the "Allow management of content types?" and added at least one content type. You can also add that column to a view.

contenttype2.png

contenttype2b.png

Best Regards,
Sven