SharePoint list column auto capitalizes single words

Copper Contributor

Hi all, help required please.  I'm using SharePoint in Microsoft 365, and have been for many years now.  I mainly use it along with Power Apps but hitting an issue I've never seen before and can't find anything online about it.

I like to use Single line text columns with 'false' or 'true' and use these booleans (albeit text) in my PowerApps.  In recent weeks I'm finding that new columns are unable to retain these entirely lowercase words e.g. false, becomes: False.  I've tried pasting from Excel or typing direct, but each of them change after a short time.  Why is this a problem, because I'm now mentally wired (and my Power Apps are wired) to expect these to be lowercase.  I've been completely thrown by some being lowercase (old columns), and some being capitalized.  I've checked the formatting and it isn't that - PowerBI shows it as False even though I typed false!  What is going on!  Can anyone replicate?  Anyone any ideas how to fix? :folded_hands:

5 Replies

@N_MCLEOD I am unable to reproduce this issue. When I add 'false' in a single line of text column, it retains the same value with lower case: 

ganeshsanap_0-1663218628814.png

However, if you have access to edit the power apps, for safer side you can use Lower() function to convert any uppercase letters in the string to lowercase.

DocumentationLower, Upper, and Proper functions in Power Apps 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Hi @ganeshsanap, thanks for the info.  I've done some more testing today and I'm sure that the cause of the capitalization is a sync issue - changes not saving properly whilst using Modern UI and 'Edit in Grid View'.  This save issue appears to be a common bug repeatedly raised on this forum :sad: e.g. here

In classic UI, quick edit, no problems saving.  In Modern UI, Edit in Grid View, changes don't save - spinner spins forever.  I'm having to force refresh the browser in order to see the changes I made.  Forcing the refresh before it has finished saving is very likely to be why the entry becomes capitalized, but obviously can't prove that.  I'm going to stick to using Power Automate or Power Apps to update my lists - sad state of affairs!

@N_MCLEOD How many items are you trying to add at a time using grid view?

I just tried adding 5-10 items with lower case text and it got saved in list without any issue. 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Thanks. Just trying to do one! Like you, this has been working fine for me up until the past week or so. I've tried clearing all my cache and signing out of office, tried using In Private mode - all the same. If anyone has had these sync issues and found a way to resolve, I'd love to hear!

@N_MCLEOD 

I have the same issue, Sharepoint started to capitalize true/false words (text column), doesn't matter whether I type it there or copy it. Then It stopped.

The issue randomly appears and disappears. 

aoihsdf_iasiudfiasdfh_0-1683111713504.png