Sharepoint list can't exit classic experience

Copper Contributor

I have a couple of SharePoint list that will not exit classic experience. I have the link to do it, but when I click on it, it will refresh the page and still show classic experience. Something is messed up with the list, but I can't figure out what it is. Does anybody have a clue? Thanks!

Ryan 

9 Replies

Me too, i cannot exit the Classic Experience even if i clicked it or  close the browser and restart. :( 

@Ryan Kohn wrote:

I have a couple of SharePoint list that will not exit classic experience. I have the link to do it, but when I click on it, it will refresh the page and still show classic experience. Something is messed up with the list, but I can't figure out what it is. Does anybody have a clue? Thanks!

Ryan 

Yeah, same issue here.

I have this same problem.  I have narrowed it down to ONLY List that were created by an export from Excel.  List that were created directly within SharePoint do not have this problem.

In addition, it "might" be related to Office 2016.  Before our company moved to Office 2016, SharePoint List created by Export from Excel fully supported the "exit from classic experience".  However, that might be completely unrelated and just a coincidence.

@Ryan Kohn : I presume, there might be some customization happened on Display Form (Allitems.aspx), if any customization happened in Display form then SharePoint will not allow user to view the list in Modern Experience.

But if you are pretty sure that there is no customization happened in your Display form, then go to List setting -> advance setting -> scroll all the way down and there you can see option called List Experience, there you can select New Experience. this will overwrite the Default Experience.

list.PNG

@Thivagar_Segar 

IIRC, when I originally hit this problem that setting didn't help me.

Eventually I tracked this down to a bug in SharePoint (confirmed by MSFT support). 

There was a workaround in that there was a training "#" sign at the end of the URL. If that "#" was removed you could get out of the classic experience.

EDIT: Eventually, this bug was fixed. 

Hi Team

I have a couple of SharePoint lists that will not exit classic experience. I have the link to do it, but when I click on it, it will refresh the page and still show classic experience. And the list Item contains more than 51,000 and display open on SharePoint on-premises grouped by (x column ) but not on SPO

Help me

I'm guessing this is a resolved issue by now for many who have posted to this thread, but since I found this thread when I experienced the same problem (years later) and searched the web for a solution, I thought I'd post the solution I finally discovered.  I hope this is useful to others!

SOLUTION: Add ?contents=1 to the end of the page URL in your browser address bar.  This will take you to the Web Part Page Maintenance page.  Are there any closed web parts on the page?  Delete those web parts.  Return to the page.  You should now be able to exit the classic experience.

This actually works! Thank you so much.
This worked for me! Thank you