SOLVED

SharePoint IDs in my SharePoint Online Library randomly Increased 10-fold? Is this a problem?

Copper Contributor

Hello,

As you can see in the screenshot below. I created a Sharepoint Library and set it to show the ID field since I use this field as a way to track documents that are created and placed within my library. This is a brand new library that started at 1 when I first created it. All was going good until a couple of days ago when I noticed that the Unique ID field had jumped from around 2000 to 38000 and the number just keeps going up! As far as I know, this ID field is supposed to increment by 1 every time a new file is added correct? I definitely didnt add 36000 files to my library. What is happening here? Should I be concerned that there are some hidden files that are taking up space in my library somewhere? Is this normal and theres nothing for me to worry about? Could this prevent me from adding to my library in the future say if I reach a character limit on the unique id field?

Any insight is appreciated!

image.png

1 Reply
best response confirmed by em1095 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@em1095 That's little concerning. The SP library gives the folder the ids in continuation to last document/folder id. As shown below

Vikram_Samal_0-1590034071966.png

Looking at you situation I can think of below:

1. Some large data migration going which some how deleted

2. Some package of third party tool installed then removed which created those items and then removed

3. users created them by mistake then removed.

If any of the above answer is false then talk to MS and look for the correct reason. This is not at all the usual behavior.

Hopefully this helps. Mark the answer appropriately if this helps.

-Vik

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by em1095 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@em1095 That's little concerning. The SP library gives the folder the ids in continuation to last document/folder id. As shown below

Vikram_Samal_0-1590034071966.png

Looking at you situation I can think of below:

1. Some large data migration going which some how deleted

2. Some package of third party tool installed then removed which created those items and then removed

3. users created them by mistake then removed.

If any of the above answer is false then talk to MS and look for the correct reason. This is not at all the usual behavior.

Hopefully this helps. Mark the answer appropriately if this helps.

-Vik

View solution in original post