SharePoint Hub Navigation with Mega menu layout displayed Cascading for site Readers

Brass Contributor

The problem occurs when the new Extended Page Header is being used with Background image and Site logo.
A User with Edit permission will see the Hub navigation displayed with Mega Menu layout as intended.

HubNavEditorPermissions.png

While it is displayed with Cascading layout for users with Read permissions. And this is also faulty because top level is display as an elips …

HubNavReaderPermissions.png
The issue does not occur on Site navigation as this is displayed as Mega menu for all users.
I have reproduced the issue in two tenants.
- The issue does not occur with any of the other Header Layouts; Minimal, Compact, Standard
- Remove Site Logo and display with only a Page Header image does not resolve issue
- Neither does enable Sync hub permissions to associated sites

I have a support case open.

Anyone else have the same problem and a resolution at hand?

3 Replies

It is the Manage Lists permissions in the Edit permission level that appears to be needed.

I am in a bit of a pickle because the issue concerns a live Intranet.

Considering to workaround and give everyone Edit permissions on the Site and then set them to Read on the Site Pages library, with the big caveat that everyone will be able to edit the navigation. 

Wonder what will happen first, a fix on this issue or release of the global navigation? 

@Eric Mases This happens off and on for me, and I'm not sure why it does it, but it tends to resolve itself. Must be a bug? 

Thanks for your response @Joni_Kirk.
The problem is consistent in my tenants.
And I sure regard it as a bug. 
But the support case is not progressing.