SharePoint Hub Navigation Disappears in Associated Sites

Copper Contributor

Related to Support Case #: 13560063

We are relying heavily on the hub navigation to help our users move between sites in our Intranet, Extranet, and Functions Hubs. We've recently added the "everyone except external users" group to the Site Assets and Site Pages libraries on all sites to allow visibility to home pages. However, we're finding that intermittently the hub navigation when going to a home page will not work. We can work around this by clearing caches, going to the hub first, and then going back to the site page, but our goal is for this to be succinct navigation without going back and forth.

How the page loads for an end user when navigating directly to the site page:

Incorrect Load.png

And how the hub displays in that scenario when navigated back to:

incorrect hub.png

Vs. going directly to the hub first:

How the page loads when going to the hub first (after cache has been cleared):

Appropriate hub.png

And then to the site page:

appropriate marketing.png

This seems to be related to caching the navigation, as when it is broken by going to the site page first, it is not resolved when navigating to the hub.

Is there some level of security or permissioning that needs to be granted to users to allow them to have access to a site collection's hub navigation? I've tested with the libraries and security points that seem most logical but I haven't had any success.

4 Replies

@Deleted, @Chris Webb@Melissa Torres  it looks like you're familiar with similar issues with hub navigation caching - do you have any recommendations on this one?

@Fab_Franz thanks for tagging me on this! I few questions so I can investigate what's going on here. To confirm, the user navigating from the associated site (where it doesn't load) and the hub has access to both at the site level, right? Also on the hub, is it a communication site or a team site? Also when did you start running into this issue?

@Melissa Torres, thank you for the helpful questions!

1) Our users have read and edit access to the full site on the hub, but due to concerns around file security, the users only have read access to the Site Pages and Site Assets library on the division sites (the associated sites). The links they use to navigate to a site page are directly to the home page in the Site Pages library.

2) The hub is a communications site, with Server Publishing disabled.

3) We only recently expanded the security model to allow users to see each other's home pages - the org has been somewhat siloed historically. This has been occurring throughout testing and deployment.

We are seeing the same issue setting our sites up using the same method.  Did you ever get things working properly?