SOLVED

Sharepoint formula find

Copper Contributor

Hi,

i try to create a simple formula in sharepoint for a calculated column, but i am not really successfull.

I want to search a certain character / string in a string. if it is found, show "yes", if not show "no".

currently i have got:

=if(find("test";"t")>0;"yes";"no")

that works, because it is found and so > 0

if i try this:

=if(find("test";"z")>0;"yes";"no")

i get an error. makes a bit of sense, because it is not found.

my idea is to catch the error like the iferror-function in excel, but i found no pendant to it for sharepoint.

sorry for my bad english - it is not my native language and my sharepoint instance is also in german. hope you can follow.

thanks in advance.

4 Replies

@gluehbirne Try using: 

=IF(INT(FIND("test";"t"))>0;"Yes";"No")

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

best response confirmed by gluehbirne (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@gluehbirne the FIND function in the formula is to find a character or string in a column in your SharePoint list. I don't actually know why this works but a formula like this which is looking for the letter J in the names in the Title column of my list works!

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("J",Title)),"Yes","No")

And the results are:
J.png

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

thanks, that works :)
thanks, that also works :)
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by gluehbirne (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@gluehbirne the FIND function in the formula is to find a character or string in a column in your SharePoint list. I don't actually know why this works but a formula like this which is looking for the letter J in the names in the Title column of my list works!

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("J",Title)),"Yes","No")

And the results are:
J.png

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

View solution in original post