Sharepoint Files is on Read Only Mode when opened with Office Desktop

Copper Contributor

Hello SharePoint Community,

Just wanted to know if you encountered similar issue wherein any Sharepoint files are on Read Only mode when opened with Office Desktop. 2 Tenants so far are affected. It was working before but 2 weeks ago is when the issue started.

Test made so far:
- No issue when accessing online 
- Found out that the affected users are using a different version of Office apps which consist of Pro Plus 2016 and Home and Business 2019 
- Non-affected users were using Apps for Business version ( case for both tenants)

- Had to switch the version of the affected users to Apps for Business to fix the issue 

Ask:

- cannot find any documentation if there is a recent update that caused this issue for non-365 office version installed. 

Any insights is appreciated. Thank you 

7 Replies

@RobertCant2255 I have the same issue, just happened a few days ago without any changes on my PC and account.

Office license: Office ProPlus 2016

Hi,
we have the same issue. It seems to appear since the latest office updates for office 2016, 2019, 2021 home & business. not for office 365 users. if you open files on the office desktop app from sharepoint or onedrive via the browser then they are read-only. if you sync your sharepoint library or access the sharepoint files directly from the file->open menu of the office applications the files can be edited. also when you open files on the office webapps. I also noticed an increasing number of very recent posts about this problem on microsoft answers and reddit. so it seems to be a wide spear issue. hopefully microsoft releases a quick fix \ update on this issue. it's a pain....
they've just released an update, now it seems to be fine again

@hannes_egger I still had users on Home and Business 2019 but they didn't get any update. It just says up to date. May I know when did yours got updated? 

@RobertCant2255 Hi, I saw yesterday that there was again an update available when I clicked on any office application on file->account->update->update now. It was \ is available for 2016, 2019, 2021. My version is now 2208 build 15601.20538

That seems to be an older version, but it works again :)

Our Admin just told me he activated the "Monthly Enterprise Channel" via gpo, so basically what we did was a downgrade and that's why it ok again

@hannes_egger 

I've just resolved this issue for one of our clients.

I had to downgrade office 2021 to the previous build version using the below command after disabling automatic updates within office:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\officec2rclient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.xxxxx.yyyyy

(xxxxx.yyyyy = build version you require, so in my case it was 16026.20146)

User can now open documents and edit them as normal