SOLVED

SharePoint Employee Directory Links to Delve Not Working Correctly

Brass Contributor

Hello,

One of my clients has a simple classic SharePoint online employee directory using SharePoint people search results. When you click on a user's name in the search results, it should take you to their delve profile. However, when I click on users that have not been opened in the browser before, the frame of the delve page loads, but the content for that user does not load - it only presents a white screen where the profile should be displayed. This is also the result for the OOTB SharePoint people search results page with no customization. 

What's really weird: when I refresh that same delve page, the profile loads perfectly - no change in URL - just a refresh. Then, if I were to open that same users from the search results page, the delve profile loads fine, which make me think there is some weird caching behavior going on behind the scenes.

The link to the user's profile on the search result page is generated as: https://tenantname-my.sharepoint.com/Person.aspx?accountname=i%3A0%23%2Ef%7Cmembership%7Cjdoe%40comp...

The above link then opens the delve profile link, automatically formatted as: https://nam.delve.office.com/?u=6dfce679-0101-4d32-9828-f40139d1fb15&v=work

This is the exact same link format that the OOTB people search results page uses, and the result is exactly the same. 

I've had multiple users experience the same results across multiple browsers, and I have experienced the same behavior across multiple tenants.

Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this, or is a bug?

Thanks!

Joe

TicketScreenshot.png

19 Replies
Unless you pre-create ODB's for users they are created until someone/the user visits, so my guess from the description is that this is what you experience. And thus expected.

@Mikael Svenson I'm not sure I understand your response. You're saying it's expected behavior for an OOTB SharePoint people search result to open an empty page when selected? How does that make sense?

@jmarc1221 I'm saying if you visit a profile page for a user which has never logged in or visited their ODB, I think it might be yes. You state a reload makes it work. Did I understand that correctly? Meaning, it happens only once per non-logged in user?

It's a corner case for users not to have visited their ODB/Profile page at least once before someone starts visiting their profile. If I understood the scenario you can ensure all users have an ODB.

See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/pre-provision-accounts

@jmarc1221 I have encountered the same issue with Delve coming from SharePoint.  The issue started about the same time as you reported.  Prior to that I had not experienced that issue in the prior months using our directory with a link to Delve.  I have opened a support ticket on this issue.  I think it is bug.

@trchughes That means I'm not crazy! Thanks for replying, and please let me know what resolution Microsoft comes up with.

@jmarc1221  We are experiencing the same issue, in our own tenants as well as our client's tenants.
Might this have anything to do with SP218259 'All users may notice that a SPFx web part is losing interactivity' which also started around the same time?

@trchughes We are seeing the same thing.  Any updates from support?  Thanks.

@Joe McGowanWe are also seeing the same issues on our tenant! I am glad to see it's not just us.

Just curious, what release is your tenant using? Standard or targeted. We are on targeted release.

@Joe McGowan I have collected information using their SaRA tool and have demonstrated the issue to two O365 Ambassadors.  

@Joe McGowan I and my team are on the targeted release.  My users are on the standard release.  I will have one of my users test.  

We put ticket in with Microsoft and nothing after 1 week, even sent this thread....  @jmarc1221 

Thanks for pushing this issue. I have also tweeted this thread to several Microsoft social media outlets. I will circle back on this thread when I hear something.

I confirmed that users who are on the standard release experienced the issue as well.  Worked with Support again on 8/4 and provided more information about issue.  Sent another fiddler trace.  

Today when I tried to reproduce this issue, it seemed to be resolved.  I was able to click on the Delve link for any user in the directory and the Delve Page rendered without the need to refresh the page.  I had a business user test and the Delve page rendered content without the need to refresh.  

@trchughes Yep, looks like they fixed it.

@jmarc1221 Looks like it might have been fixed today.  Can you test it out?

This also happens now in Excel.  It has not been fixed there.  I can email a link to Delve and the link works fine from Outlook.  But try to access it from Excel and the URL gets shortened to just "nam.delve.office.com" or something and, consequently, fails to reach the employee profile that was linked.

best response confirmed by jmarc1221 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@trchughes Yes! I tested this on multiple SharePoint people search result pages, and they all land on a fully loaded Delve profile page without having to refresh. Thank you all for your timely responses and effort to knock this one out!

Are you prompted with a"trust sites" warning when you click on the link in Excel? If I click no on the trusted sites dialogue, I am taken directly to the Delve page with no issue, but if I click yes, it brings me to the Delve home page. You may want to start a new thread on here if that issue persists.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by jmarc1221 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@trchughes Yes! I tested this on multiple SharePoint people search result pages, and they all land on a fully loaded Delve profile page without having to refresh. Thank you all for your timely responses and effort to knock this one out!

View solution in original post