SOLVED

SharePoint doc library permissions

Brass Contributor

I’ve got a library on a comms site (also a hubsite) that I need to permission uniquely for a smaller group of users. I’ve broken the inheritance and linked the library direct to an office 365 security group as I would do normally.

But when I open the hubsite with my test account (which is not in the associated O365 group - only the site group) I can still see the library link on the hub homepage and click into the library - I just don’t see the documents themselves. This is surprising - I would not expect to see the library link at all or be able to open it, since I’m not in the o365 group. ie I have rights to the site but not the library. 

I’d rather hide this library (and preferably the link too) from a regular user. It’s got permission info and most users don’t need to know it’s there. Also it may confuse users if they open a doc library which doesn't appear to have any docs in it.
I'd be most grateful if anyone could shed any light in this. Thanks

3 Replies
Unfortunately, a link or web part added by a human is not currently able to be targeted or security trimmed - but the content is, as you know. You may want to try adding the link to the secure library to navigation instead of on the page. When audience targeting for navigation is added to your tenant, you can target the link in nav so it only shows to the people who have access. You can “fake” that today by adding the library link to navigation and then using the lock :locked: emoji and the words (restricted) or (private) to indicate that the link will not work for all visitors.
best response confirmed by Victoria Symons (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Susan Hanley 

Hi Susan, thanks for your help. It was to do with site permissions in the end. Posting for reference.

My test account had picked up some hidden limited permissions. Once I removed them I could no long see the doc library link or open it. Perfect!

@Victoria Symons , I guess you were referring to the site menu (quick launch) and not the hub menu. When you create a document library, you can have the library link appeared into the quick launch that will be just under the hub menu for a communication site acting as a hub. The quick launch is security trimmed but not the hub menu if I'm not mistaken.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Victoria Symons (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Susan Hanley 

Hi Susan, thanks for your help. It was to do with site permissions in the end. Posting for reference.

My test account had picked up some hidden limited permissions. Once I removed them I could no long see the doc library link or open it. Perfect!

View solution in original post