SharePoint Cross-Site Publishing On-prem

Copper Contributor

Hello all,

We are a small media company that hosts about 90TB worth digital media. Our media sits in house on our server. We would like to turn our digital media directory into a searchable catalog, so we don't have to spend so much time searching through old footage / graphics what we need for projects. 

The idea of cross site publishing with a catalog was brought up and I was tasked with making it become a thing for our small company. Our company has a SharePoint 2016 license and we installed it on one of our servers.

I start off with the basic Product catalog preset in SharePoint and built my own columns of metadata regarding the search we are building. Ex: File date, name of the show / product, date of show, keywords etc.

I then of course, build the hierarchy with terms ex: Video, Images, Transcripts etc and have the Item Category point to the terms in the hierarchy. 

I then enable this library as a catalog, did a full system crawl, then connect the newly created catalog to out Publishing site.

I get no issues when connecting the sites, except getting the info to appear. When I search for an item is shows up but, when I click on it, it takes me the item reuse page in which I literally have none of the info I put into that file. I will provide an attachment to what I see when I click on a list item I cross-sited.

I tried watching videos on YouTube and even LinkedIn regarding this process and I'll spend the whole hour watching their crash course and as soon as they get to the cross-site connecting part, they skip right to a complete package site design with everything being displayed correctly.

So, I'm assuming I'm going to need some code to display all the info regarding the file, but I have no idea where to begin, where to input the code and how to even write it. I'm reaching out because I'm just confused and lost on this last step. Any form of advice and direction would be much appreciated.

1 Reply