SOLVED

SharePoint Comments in Lists

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I'm looking for some help please - I have a SP list that contains some sensitive info.  As such I have configured different user groups that can access different sections with various read/write attributes.  

I really want to use the 'comments' functionality, but if I turn it on and tag someone outside of the  user groups it gives them access to all of the fields.  

How do I enable the comments and allow people to be tagged whilst locking down what they can see in the list?  

thanks

6 Replies

@CD3000 This is the default behavior of list comments when you mention users in comments.

From SharePoint Online/Microsoft Lists: @mention people in list comments:

When you send the comment, Microsoft will verify whether all @mentioned users have edit permission on the list item. If not, a share & notify dialog will open listing all @mentioned users who don’t have these permissions. You can choose to share the list item with these users and notify them. The list item will be shared with edit permissions to the mentioned people.

When you mention users in comments, it sends an email notification to the users with Go to Comment button. When user clicks on this button, it redirects them to the list comment. For this reason, user should have permissions to that particular list item.

Anyways, this is the default behavior by Microsoft and we cannot change it OR customize the sharing functionality OR email notification format.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Thanks ganeshsanap - So to clarify - there's currently no way of sharing the list item and only having the user read it and not edit? I want @members to be able to see the list item, comment on it if necessary, but not edit any of the fields in the list.
best response confirmed by CD3000 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@CD3000 Yes, currently there is no way to change this behavior.

Also, to add comments on list item, use needs "Edit" permissions on item and when you grant edit permissions on item, you cannot restrict them from editing the fields in the list.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap There seems to be a bug here though, because if a user is @mentioned on an item in a folder with unique permissions, the original permissions are dislodged. Example:

Item is submitted to a list which can initially only be accessed by an admin group

The list has a folder with unique permissions which are edit and granted to UserA, and full control granted to admin group

Admin moves the item to the folder for UserA and normally this results in the item inheriting the folder permissions so UserA now has edit rights to the item.

But if admin @mentions UserB and moves the item to the folder for UserA, the item no longer inherits the folder permissions and item permissions are changed so that now UserB  has edit rights and UserA has "none"

This can't be the intended result of @mentioning someone.

@matt howell As per my understanding, when you mention any user in the SharePoint list item comments who does not have permissions on the list item, the permission inheritance on that list item will be broken and user will be granted the permissions.

So, that list item will not have permissions from folder or from SharePoint list - it will have it's own permissions.

ReferenceSharePoint Online: All you need to know about Commenting in Lists 

Please consider giving a Like if my post helped you in any way.

That makes sense - but only IF the mentioned user is added to the permissions. Removing a user who's explicitly been granted permissions is asinine - especially since there's no notification that that has happened.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by CD3000 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@CD3000 Yes, currently there is no way to change this behavior.

Also, to add comments on list item, use needs "Edit" permissions on item and when you grant edit permissions on item, you cannot restrict them from editing the fields in the list.

View solution in original post