Sharepoint columns sync with File Explorer view, or an alternative option

Visitor

Hi all

I'm more an admin person rather than IT, but have been asked to find a solution for one of our directors who prefers to open his documents using File Explorer over Sharepoint online. And before you ask, no he won't change his ways! 

I need to be able to set up File Explorer to filter/display/order (however you want to name it) project folders synced with Sharepoint according to whether they are:

1/ Active or Complete (status)

2/ under his name as project manager.

I thought I had found the answer by adding columns to Sharepoint (see attached a screen shot below), but I have since discovered that those columns do not feed across to File Explorer.  

Sharepoint screen shot with column headings.png

The only other solution I have is adding multiple layers of folders to Sharepoint. This will only complicate the library for other users so I am averse to implementing this.

Is there a way of tagging or adding some form of metadata to folders that will pass between Sharepoint and File Explorer that we can use to then filter the view on his device? 

Any suggestions please and thank you.

1 Reply

@Carmen3008  - I know it's been a bit but did you ever get an answer?  I have the same need.