Sharepoint Classic Home Site automatic migration into Modern Communication Site

Copper Contributor

Hello all,

I am currently trying to implement SharePoint in the company and I went through a lot of research lately.

While our SharePoint site is accessible to only a few people for the purpose of testing, this is almost empty. However, the homepage has been created almost a year ago under a Classic Team Site. I would like to migrate to a modern Communication Site, which is supposed to be done automatically if all requirements from MS are well followed (STS#0, no text, no Webparts others than default one, ...). I think I did follow all of them, but still, the home does not seem to have changed. 

Any idea about what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help

4 Replies
What's the procedure you are following? By the way, I assume you are aware that you are just modernizing the site and not converting it into a communcation site, right?

@Juan Carlos González Martín Well at the moment I'm trying to get to the page where the instructions were. I had to leave work in hurry yesterday and shutdown my computer quite quick. Nothing in history so I am just trying to google it as I previously did. 

But from what I recall it was from Microsoft, late February or early March of this year, and it was explained that classic root team site will be converted to modern communication site but only with some requirements. I followed them, but nothing happened until now.

I'll update you with the url if I find it.

Thanks for your help 

@Juan Carlos González Martín I just found the web page : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/disable-auto-modernization-classic-home-pages

The classic home page I'm trying to update is currently my root page. Is that a problem? Is there something I misunderstood here? 

I believe that after the update the page should look like any other modern communication site. Isn't it?

Hi all,

Since my root site was empty, I did not bother going further into that idea. I created another Communication Site to make it my modern root site.

Thanks @Juan Carlos González Martín for the help.

From what I understood this feature may be disabled for the moment.

Brgds