Sharepoint button to run a Power Automate flow.

Copper Contributor

I am pulling my hair out here. (Well, what little I have left!)

I am very new to Sharepoint Online / O365.  But I have sucessfully used Power Automate to create a flow, which collects file metadata, asks for a filename and uploads the file to a SharePoint Doc Library.  This works fine.

Now I want to fire this by hitting a button on my Sharepoint site.   I create the button, but I cannot find anywhere where it tells me the URL of the flow I've created!

Can anyone tell me where this is hidden?

15 Replies

I'm still new myself and have a similar question. As with most Microsoft things, you may need to devise a nonsensical workaround. Here's the best solution I've been able to integrate into our workflow.

Install and sign into the Power Automate app on your phone. You should find your button on the Buttons page. Select [ ... ] and choose Share Button Link. This will give you a url to access your workflow. Copy this url and open it on your computer's web browser.
Depending on where you want this, you can usually find a place in SharePoint to create a link using this url. I have a weblink in a SharePoint Document Library which I've pinned to the top of the library for easier access. I also have the link on various buttons on our Hub Site homepage.

To my knowledge, someone please tell me otherwise, the Power Automate app is the only place to find the url to the button.

@SimonMarkEdwards it's not a url you need, it's the ID of the flow. You get this from the main screen of the flow as follows:

1-Flow-ID.png

If your button is in a document library or the Site Pages library then the trigger in your flow needs to be "For a selected file". If the button is in a list then the trigger should be "For a selected item".

You then need a single line of text column in your list/library and format it with the JSON below. You'll see the ID on the actionsParams line; you'll need to change this to your flow's ID and also change the header text and run flow button text to whatever you want and also change the txtContent line (the text on the button). And of course you change the style to however you want it to look. You'll notice that I've got the visibility as conditional based on another column (set to Yes in the flow):

{
  "$schema": "https://developer.microsoft.com/json-schemas/sp/v2/column-formatting.schema.json",
  "elmType": "button",
  "txtContent": "Publish to Teams",
  "customRowAction": {
    "action": "executeFlow",
    "actionParams": "{\"id\": \"021ec4e0-8f85-46b3-a557-a4456960a4eb\",\"headerText\":\"All Things REI\",\"runFlowButtonText\":\"Publish Now\"}"
  },
  "style": {
    "background-color": "#008082",
    "color": "white",
    "border-radius": "0 15px",
    "visibility": "=if(([$PublishedToTeams] == 'Yes'),'hidden','visible')"
  }
}

The end result of the above formatting looks like this. Click the button and flow will start:

0-SPList.png

I hope that has prevented you going bald.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User.
If I've answered your question or solved your problem, please mark this question as answered. This helps others who have the same question find a solution quickly via the forum search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. Thanks.

@RobElliott   Thanks Rob. Most helpful.  All I need now is something to make the hair grow back.

@RobElliott , Great article, and I really like your buttons!
I've been trying this, but the button shows in every row, regardless the content of the column ShareBim360.
Any idea's?

{
"$schema": "https://developer.microsoft.com/json-schemas/sp/v2/column-formatting.schema.json",
"elmType": "button",
"txtContent": "Share to Bim360",
"customRowAction": {
"action": "executeFlow",
"actionParams": "{\"id\": \"bce75e04-998b-4600-b829-7370d6a2ee15\",\"headerText\":\"All Things REI\",\"runFlowButtonText\":\"Publish Now\"}"
},
"background-color": "#008082",
"color": "white",
"border-radius": "0 15px",
"visibility": "=if(([$ShareBim360] == 'Yes'),'hidden','visible')"
}
}

Thanks, Roland

Good article.
Thank you.
Massive thanks for this. It's EXACTLY what I needed and it's working perfectly :)

@rolanddaane What is the column/data type of "ShareBim360" column? Is it a single line of text or choice or Yes/No?

For choice & single line of text column, you can use: 

"display": "=if([$ShareBim360] == 'Yes', 'none', 'block')"
},

For Yes/No column:  

"display": "=if([$ShareBim360], 'none', 'block')"
},

Note:

1. You have to use the internal name of "ShareBim360" column and not display name
  2. "ShareBim360" column be included/shown in list view.

Follow this article to get the internal name of your SharePoint column: How to find the Internal name of columns in SharePoint Online? 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@RobElliott thanks so much for this! Just wondering if there is a way to add 'body text' so I can explain to the person clicking the button what will happen? Thanks again :)
Off the top of my head I can't think of an easy way to do that other than to add extra text to the button in the txtContent line, but that would make the button much bigger.

@SimonMarkEdwards 

Thanks for the great article.

It seems working, but does not execute 

When I trig directly from Power automate it works (Test Riuscito) , but when I click on Sharepoint button does note execute (Non riuscito )

gennaro73_0-1673107878043.png

ID is correct....

gennaro73_1-1673108268392.png

Did so many times, any idea? 

Thanks who may help me!

Hi @gennaro73 , I'm having the same problem, did you manage to find the solution?

Mr. @RobElliott , It would be great to have your experience to solve this problem. Can you help me? I will be very grateful!

@Renato_Beltrame 

Sorry Renato, I did not get a solution.

This was awesome. Thank you so much!
I first ran across this on https://wonderlaura.com/2018/07/18/button-in-sharepoint-list-to-trigger-microsoft-flow/
But, your explanation is much simpler. Does anyone know if there is any additional information on formatting the button?
Thank you, Rob!
This makes things so much easier, and makes me look a pro :)

@RobElliott This is some great information. How do you pass in extra parameters to the flow? Like an ID or something like that? Items in the list that might be needed to run the flow...

Thanks,

Monty