Sharepoint and Templates

Copper Contributor

We have long used Word and Excel template files. When running off a local server when you click on the template it spawns a document off that template. This of course is exactly what is meant to happen and why you create templates. I notice however that if you load a Word or Excel template into SharePoint and then you share that link when the user opens the document they go straight into the template and as a result can corrupt the file. I cannot work out how to load something into SharePoint that is a template so that when the user accesses the link it behaved like it would do if it was on a local server, that is when they Click to edit the document it spawns the document or sheet not give them access to the template.

2 Replies

@Robert_Lopez 

It's better to ask on SharePoint hub of this resource. TechCommunity Discussion is about the resource itself discussions.

@Robert_Lopez I'm moving this discussion to the SharePoint space. Please post SharePoint questions in the SharePoint space in the future.

@Sergei Baklan is correct in that this discussion space is intended for discussion around the Tech Community website itself, not product questions.