SharePoint 2013 errors for file uploads with special characters or wrong extension

Copper Contributor

Hello. When we upload a file to a SharePoint library with special characters, it gives an error "File names can't contain the following characters: & " ? < > # {} % ~ / \." or if we upload a .exe file, it says "Sorry, for some reason this document couldn't upload. Try again later or contact your administrator."

I want to know where these errors are coming from. I searched in all the resource files in the 15 hive but I dint find them. Please let me know where these error messages are coming from or how SharePoint is generating them. All I need to do is a little tweak in the wordings of those messages so it becomes clear for the user what they are doing wrong. And I know that it is not recommended to modify resource files as they will be overwritten after a new patch installation. But still there is a requirement so please do let me know the source of these messages. Thanks

1 Reply
Hi, there are some security reasons, why those characters are not allowed in the filenames. You should not change because of some requirements which make your environment vulnerable to attacks. Also, you are not allowed to upload the executables since it is blocked in the central administration, you have to allow the executables to upload to the document library. I suggest you follow the best practice guidelines from Microsoft and recommend the customer to follow the same.