SharePoint 2013 email notifications for monthly overdue items

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am a new / novice SharePoint 2013 user, and have been asked to create an environment for 5 different users to enter monthly updates with data for multiple records (1 user is required to submit monthly updates for 3 items, another for 9 items, another for 5 items, etc. - but each user's required updates are the same each month).

I've created a SharePoint list to contain the submissions, and a form to facilitate data entry.  What I have been asked to do now is to provide past due reminders to prompt users to enter and submit data if they've missed the due date.

My questions are:

1) how do I create past due reminders within SharePoint 2013?  Since the data is supposed to reflect the prior month-end, the users are expected to enter data by the 10th of the following month (i.e. March 10 would be the due date for February month-end, April 10th the due date for March month-end, and so on each month).  Can such reminders be generated directly from the list that holds the data or do I need to set up tasks and/or workflows?  If yes, do I need additional columns in my list?  The only date column I currently have in my list is an "as of date", which the user is requested to set to prior month-end when entering data, and no default value, since the list is intended to be updated monthly.  Can the routine for sending monthly past due emails be dynamic like a recurring Outlook appointment (i.e. in Outlook, you can have a recurring event the 3rd Tuesday of each month, or the 10th of each month - can SharePoint do something similar rather than having to specify, and then update, every month - April 10, May 10, June 10)?

2) can the reminders be tailored to trigger if any data from a particular user is missing?  For example, if user X is responsible to submit data for 5 items every month, if they only submit 4 out of the 5 in one month, can the past due reminder e-mail be triggered that one submission is still missing for the month?

Thanks for your help.

0 Replies