SOLVED

SharePoint 2013 configuration only backup disk space

Copper Contributor

Hi.

When I'm trying to perform configuration only backup I get the following error:

There is not enough disk space. Free additional space on your hard disk and then try again. Approximate amount of space needed: 588.00 GB. Amount of space free on disk: 46.05 GB.

But the estimated disk space required for configuration only backup is only 686 MB.

Is this some bug? Can I somehow get around this error?

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Andri Björn (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Andri...if you're using the GUI in Central Admin, try using PowerShell to do the backup.

Andri my gut reaction on this is likely due to the SQL transaction log vs. the main database file of the configuration database which is what is backed up during a farm config backup.  It's best practice to change the Recovery Mode of the Config database to Simple so you don't need to worry about point in time backups and growing the LDF file (in SQL). 

Go to the SQL server and check the size of the MDF and LDF of the Config database.  My guess is that the config database log has grown huge and this is being taken into account of the backup.  Change the Recovery Model to Simple in the database properties in SQL, then right click on database -> Tasks -> Shrink, then change database to files, and choose Log.  Should say shrinking by like 99%, and release the disk space.  Hope that clears it up for you.

I was able to do this in powershell, but I'm gonna take a look at the size of the log files.

Thanks

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Andri Björn (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Andri...if you're using the GUI in Central Admin, try using PowerShell to do the backup.

View solution in original post