SOLVED

Share SP List with Teams

Iron Contributor

I have created a SP list in my Team A. The list is populated with thousands of records and contains custom formatting etc.

I now want to share this list with Team B.

How can I achieve this?

11 Replies

@jonboylib 

Just to verify that I have understood your need:

• You have a Microsoft Teams team (here called Team A). On its associated SharePoint site, you have created a Microsoft List.
  • There is a Microsoft Teams team (here called Team B). The members of Team B do not have access to Team A.
  • In Team B, you want the list from Team A to be displayed in a tab.

Is this understood correctly?

@MagnusGoksoyrOLDProfile I would like Team B to have access to the list I created in Team A.

Doesn't necessarily have to be within teams, If I can share a URL that would suffice.

I don't want to add members manually as there are hundreds, and keeping these in sync would be a lot of effort.

@jonboylib Try this:

1. Team B must be having a M365 group associated with it.
  2. Grant permissions to Team B group on Team A list (or site) as per your requirements (Read/Edit, etc.).
  3. If you want to share just this list, you can break the permissions inheritance on list & then grant permissions. Go to List settings > Permissions for this list > Stop Inheriting Permissions > Grant Permissions.
  4. Add new tab in Teams B channel with list in Team A (using list URL). This way Team B can access the list in Microsoft Teams itself. Alternately, you can also share the URL of list with Team B.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@jonboylib 

1. You can give the Team B group read rights on the SharePoint site that belongs to Team A, but then they have read access to all the content on that SharePoint site unless you break the inheritance of individual lists and libraries and set unique rights on them. (However, this is something I advise against because the SharePoint site belongs to Team A and such changes can affect the overall functionality and in the long run bring unwanted challenges.) Then you can add the list to a tab on Team B.
  2. Alternatively, you CAN (if that's OK) add the rights group for Team B as a member of Team A but then it is an advantage if the rights group for Team B is a dynamic AAD group so that you don't have to worry about future rights administration.
  3. A third option is that you migrate the list to a new, independent, SharePoint site where both Team A and Team B have rights and then you can link to this "central" list both from Team A and Team B as tabs. I think this is the most correct solution.

@MagnusGoksoyrOLDProfile 

Thanks for the suggestions, seems like it's difficult to accomplish such a simple task.

I think it may be easier if I duplicate my current list (inc all contents) and import it into Team B - is this possible?

@jonboylib You can export the SharePoint list in Team A to excel & create a new list in Team B using import excel/spreadsheet option.

Follow these documentations:

1. Export to Excel from SharePoint or Lists 
  2. Create a list based on a spreadsheet 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Yes it is technically possible but then you will have two places to maintain the information. Therefore i think it would be better to have and maintain this common list one place as i suggested in option 3 above.
Regards, Magnus

@jonboylib Additionally, you can refer to below article as well for excel approach if it helps:

3 ways to import Excel to SharePoint 

Alternatively, you can achieve something similar using PnP provisioning as well (developer experience required): How to Provision a list with data using SharePoint Online PnP C#? 

@ganeshsanap 

If I export the list in Team A to Excel, then create a new list Team B using import excel/spreadsheet option... will the formatting of my list also copy over? e.g. I have conditional formatting setup in every column of my list in Team A.

Presumably I don't have to set all of this formatting up again..

@MagnusGoksoyrOLDProfile 

Yes, I understand that there will be two lists that need to be maintained. But, I really don't want to setup another site for the sole purpose of sharing one single list, seems a bit excessive.

I can't believe there's no easy way of duplicating an existing SP list, contents and formatting.

best response confirmed by jonboylib (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@jonboylib Ah, formatting will not be applied to new list when using import excel option.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by jonboylib (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@jonboylib Ah, formatting will not be applied to new list when using import excel option.

View solution in original post