SOLVED

Shall I use the default Content Type Hub or create a new Hub Site?

Brass Contributor

I've been using the default content type hub site that comes with SharePoint Online (/sites/contenttypehub) to publish my custom content types.

I wonder however if I should stop using this default site and migrate  to a new Hub Site which I could create instead.

What would be the benefits of one versus the other?

A point in favour of using the default /sites/contenttypehub site is that it automatically applies to all sites. I don't have to associate each SharePoint site to this site individually. 

Thoughts?

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Pedro Innecco (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Pedro Innecco there aren't currently any significant benefits of using a Hub Site as a Content Type Hub. If you are using the default one currently, then I would continue to use it. 

There are some alternative methods e.g. using PowerShell to create Content Types as part of a build script (Have a look at the PnP scripts).

This UserVoice suggestion is interesting https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329214-sites-and-collaboration/suggestions/34094440-make-opt...

I've switched to using a site script and site design to apply content types. As this will get large, I would create a site design and script associated with the default Team Site and then call Flow where you use the Add-SiteDesign REST call against the site to apply your content type script. You can create aaite script through Sitedesigner.io.
When you update the content type, you need to use Power shell to loop through all sites and call the add site design again to apply changes
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Pedro Innecco (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Pedro Innecco there aren't currently any significant benefits of using a Hub Site as a Content Type Hub. If you are using the default one currently, then I would continue to use it. 

There are some alternative methods e.g. using PowerShell to create Content Types as part of a build script (Have a look at the PnP scripts).

This UserVoice suggestion is interesting https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329214-sites-and-collaboration/suggestions/34094440-make-opt...

View solution in original post