Setting up an external list column that fetches from an ERP

Copper Contributor

I've been searching for clear documentation on how to do this but apparently am not looking in the right pace or phrasing it incorrectly.

What I want to do is avoid having to maintain multiple Choice columns that all derive their content from the ERP system, which ought to be the master for things like product codes, open orders, etc. So instead of risking the chance of some lists in SPO not being a match for what the ERP says, I want to set up an External Content Type that fetches the data straight out of the ERP.

Our ERP isn't Dynamics or SAP, but it does support REST API, and does send data in JSON, and I have extracted data using Power Automate. What I don't see is a way in SPO to do this in a straightforward way. I have found vague references to setting up something in BCS, or using SharePoint Designer 2013, but nothing that I found very clear. The ERP company had a webpart for SP 2010 that is useless to me.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Has anyone actually done this?

1 Reply
The way to do the integration you are lookig for was BCS...the problem with BCS is that Microsoft has not done any investment on the service for the last 7 years, so I would avoid to use it...