Set-up Sharepoint File Permission According to a File Property

Copper Contributor

I have an issue similar to @marionkd's posts Best practice for setting up a library with restricted access for different user and Share externally a Sharepoint View in that I have several document libraries where it would be functionally beneficial for my team as well as a number of external teams to have access to one single library with varying levels of access. Per the responses provided on the previously listed discussion topics, it appears that access cannot be limited to a view, however permissions can be set on an individual file level. My initial intention was to create a series of views that would filter files down based on the external team name and thus limit their access to each respective view.

Is there an alternative method to utilizing a file property in SharePoint to automatically set permissions (e.g. I create a column within SharePoint to select an External Team then that team name is married up with a permission group that may included a list of members)?

Perhaps a flow could be initiated when a file is created or properties are modified to update the permissions of that specific document? 

Thanks in advance for any insight in this regard!

1 Reply
Hi, you are right, the permissions cannot be mapped to a list view or field in the list. It could only be mapped to the items or the entire list. Perhaps you could use Power Automate (MS Flow) to break the item permission and set the unique permission based on the field metadata. Using Power Automate the above-mentioned scenario is possible whenever a file is created or its properties were modified.