SOLVED

Set Default Sharing to "People with Existing Access"

Iron Contributor

@Stephen Rice , @Stephen Rose

Am trying to set sharing default to "People with Existing Access".

These are the steps I have taken:

1. Set the default sharing link to "Internal"DefaultSharingLink.jpg

The result of this is:

DefaultSharingLink2.jpg

2. Next I used Powershell to "Disable Company wide Sharing".

Set-SPOSite -Identity  <site-collection> -DisableCompanyWideSharingLinks Disabled

The final result is - see below.

Why is it defaulting to "Specific People" instead of "People with existing Access"?

DefaultSharingLink3.jpg

47 Replies

Hi @Robin Nilsson,

Just wanted to poke back in here. I was able to repro initially on my side but once I updated to the latest version of PowerShell, the command worked as expected. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Senior Program Manager, OneDrive

Thanks Stephen good to know. Right now I’m fighting satellite lag times/wvd/rdp timeouts but as soon as I get back in I’ll give it a go. I’m hitting the usual ‘repository not available’ so I’ve got something wrong with security protocol or credentials or something.

@Robin Nilsson, ouch, good luck!

Worth noting that we just finished rolling out the UI for this feature in the modern SharePoint Admin Center so you can do this without powershell. You just need to go into the modern experience, select a site, and then open the sharing panel. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Wow even better! And can do it for multi sites at a time (oops, edited to add that those sharing selections aren't on bulk edit)... Never did get the PS to work for group sites even after I set up my Surface Pro X to do all this stuff bypassing our internal proxy/firewalls/whatever, so this is *purfect* timing!

@Robin Nilsson How do you change the sharing for multiple sites at the same time? I have to go into each site individually and uncheck "Same as organizational-level setting (Specific people)" and then check "People with existing access"

@Stephen RiceThe "People with Existing Access" option still needs to be implemented at the organization level.  See screenshot:

• Site has the extra option for "People with existing access"
  • Organization does NOT have the option

Given the above concerns about IT managing security, it would make sense to implement this solution for SharePoint, while giving the user greater control of OneDrive

@Robin Nilsson, glad you were able to get it to work! Unfortunately we don't have bulk editing support for this particular setting yet!

@Michael Rennie, the easiest way to change this for multiple site sis via the SharePoint Online Management Shell. The UI is only able to do this on one site at a time right now.

@Frank McDermott, thanks for the feedback! We are starting with only allowing this to be set on a per-site basis but we'll continue to watch for additional feedback and explore adding it to the organization level in the future. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

@Stephen Rice thanks so much for being really responsive and answering our questions here. 

Really appreciated, here in the South Pacific :)

Dorje

My pleasure! 

Stephen

@Stephen Rice 

Can you please provide me the exact command to set this option?

Also is it possible to set using ApplyPnPprovisioningtemplate?  If  so any pointers?

I have hundreds of sites which need this to be set .

Sure @Swapna Nethi !

Exact command would be:

Set-SPOSite -Identity YourSiteURLHere -DefaultLinkToExistingAccess $true

I'm not super familiar with the PnP side of things and I don't think this is available via that path (but not 100% on that). Thanks!

Stephen Rice

@Stephen RiceI got the same behavior here, I got the error that this is a group and this is not a valid parameter. We have over 14.000 Teams and we need to change the default link type behavior because users that are supposed to leave a team still have access to the data and sometimes they delete it  :( . This creates a lot of grief :(

Hi @Catalin_Pasu,

Can you download the latest version of the SPO Management Shell (link here) and give it another try? Thanks!

Stephen Rice

@Stephen Rice 
I just went through the whole thread as my org (x10.000 users) is finally adopting O365.

I was both :

• pleased to see the evolution from the original issue,
  • but still disappointed not to have this setting available organization wide.

For us, it is a no-brainer that's the one we want to default to, and having already over 90k teams created and growing, going to change the sharing properties of every site our employees can create is not really an option. Though I would welcome any advice if there is a way to automate such process.

So anyway, just adding my +1 for all that want this to be available org-wide.

Being able to do it through PowerShell would be just fine (although a GUI change is always welcome).

Thank you in advance. 

Thanks for the feedback @dgr4it !

This is still one we're keeping an eye on and are open to changing in the future. You also should be able to do this via PowerShell (Set-SPOSite) & iterate through sites that way (Still not as good as a single switch I know, but at least a solution). Thanks!

Stephen Rice

I got it about the iteration with Powe Shell but, wouldn't you agree with me that's not something you'd like to do in a tenant with over 95 thousand teams and growing? (we do not restrict users capability to create them at this point).

@dgr4it, totally agree! Just wanted to call it out as the best option available today. We'll keep watching for feedback here (and via other channels) to help inform future release. This is a good candidate to submit over at onedrive.uservoice.com as well! Thanks!

Stephen Rice

I am reading through the thread and adding my support that "People with Existing Access" should be able to be configured as an organization wide setting. Is there documentation on expanding the command to iterate?

@Stephen Rice 

Any update to this per-site setting of the default sharing link to People with existing access? We would like this to be our tenant default and not have to type in every link to 800 site collections. :suprised::cry::facepalm::crossed_fingers::folded_hands:

Hi @Lisa Stebbins ,

You can do this using PowerShell in a couple of different ways.

If you use Sensitivity labels you can use those to define the type of sharing for each site. More info here https://office365itpros.com/2021/06/08/default-sharing-link-settings/ 

If you want to set every site to a specific type of sharing you can do that using the following powershell

Set-SPOSite -identity https://YourTenant.sharepoint.com/sites/YourSite -DefaultLinkToExistingAccess 1

Reference https://lightningtools.com/blog/sharepoint-default-sharing-link-people-with-existing-access

You or your IT team should be able to adapt the following, to run the above script for everyone of your sites if that is what you want to do.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/616205/change-default-34site-sharing-settings34-...

I hope this helps.