Seriously: Do Microsoft's developers ever test their SharePoint dialogs?

MVP

I mean, if they do, then they must be on some serious drugs. 

Who would intentionally set something like this free? SharePoint online admin center > Search > Manage Search Schema > Edit a managed property > click Advanced Searchable Settings.

The screenshots are from Chrome, Edge and IE11.

Is there no UX quality control for SharePoint internals??

The button to add a mapping is 2 miles down the page, but the dialog will pop up at the top of the page. You have to scroll up 2 miles to see it. Such a horrible UX.

Edge.pngChrome.pngIE11.png

5 Replies
Well, you might notice this now, but this experience is the old one in SPO and has been there unchanged for the last 6-7 years...so you could complain if they do the same in the new SPO admin experience

Yeah, I went from 2010 on-prem to SOL in one big leap. I missed the whole 2013 party.

Can anyone provide a rationale for this broken UI? Especially if it's been around for over half a decade?

Agreed, it doesn't look great but I would think it's just a remnant of SharePoint's past that hasn't yet been updated.  It is probably considered a low impact issue that may get modernised over time or it could be one of those settings that gets left in the 'Classic SharePoint admin center' indefinitely.  I wouldn't call it a broken UI, it's just not particularly elegant but it is functional enough that it can be used for the purpose it was originally designed for.

Let's agree to disagree about the "broken UI". 

The functionality of the site is not broken. You can still tick the boxes and click the buttons. True.

But the UI is a slap in the face of anyone who has ever tried to create a user experience that is more than just functional. This should never have been released in the first place. Just my opinion.

That's fair enough, it's clearly not in keeping with the modern SharePoint experience but you find pockets of older code, UI elements, functions that stay around for longer than they probably should on occasion.  I wouldn't call it a defect as such, it's just been left behind and could do with a refresh for sure but that's all it is, in my opinion.

It took Microsoft something like fifteen years to fully modernise the Fonts options in Windows but they did do it eventually and these things can take time.  We are into less than three years of the modernization era of SharePoint and amazing progress has been made but it is ongoing.