Send e-mail when ownership is assigned not listing IDs

Copper Contributor

I have a SharePoint site whereby whenever a user is assigned an item, they get a notification. 

This is done by going to "List Settings" --> "Advanced Settings"  --> "Send e-mail when ownership is assigned?"

Unfortunately when the notification is sent, it includes every field except the ID field .

How can I get ID field added to the notification ?

issue ID.JPG

8 Replies

@vincetaylor70 I don't think there is any direct way to customize the email template from SharePoint UI. 

One workaround is you can create a custom column in your list instead of using SharePoint default ID column. The custom column will be automatically shown in email notification:

ganeshsanap_0-1659350125704.png

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

I added a custom column but the new custom column is not appearing in the e-mail. Any idea why ?

@vincetaylor70 Can you confirm, are you using a list created using classic "Tasks" list template?

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Hi @ganeshsanap
This is an Issue Tracking List

@vincetaylor70 It works for me with Issue Tracking list as well: 

ganeshsanap_0-1659534492873.png

Try this:

1. Create one more list on same site with Issue tracking list template (for testing)
  2. Create one column "CustomID"
  3. Create one item in the list
  4. Check if you get the email with CustomID.

@ganeshsanap 

When I added a number column and a "Single Line of Text" column, they both appeared in the e-mail template.
But as soon as I added the code below to the column formatting section, both fields were removed from the email

{
   "$schema": "https://developer.microsoft.com/json-schemas/sp/v2/column-formatting.schema.json",
   "elmType": "div",
   "txtContent": "[$ID]"
}

Are you using the same code?
If not then what are you using ?

@vincetaylor70 I was not using any JSON formatting on column. I entered the value in CustomID column manually from list form.

Anyway, I can still see the custom column in email even when using JSON formatting on column: 

ganeshsanap_0-1659966457141.png

Note: JSON column formatting does not set the actual column value. It only customizes the display of column to show the value in list view. Hence, the value shown in list view will not be sent in email.

@vincetaylor70 

That will not work because Column Formatting is just for UI, it does not store value actually in the list based on Column Formatting.

You need to store ID some how into your custom column which you can set when you are assigning issue to some person.

Important: You can't use ID column in SharePoint Calculated column.

If you don't want to go with setting ID in your custom column, then you can't use Default Email functionality here, there I would suggest to go with Power Automate which can send an email when issue is assigned to someone.

Hope it will helpful to you.