Search in a choice column when filling in

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I've created a choice column with currently 3 options. In my end result there will be a lot more choices.

JorisVanBossche_0-1659704241465.png

When I fill in the value for one row, I can now select from those 3 choices, but you'll see that there is a 'type to filter' option:

JorisVanBossche_1-1659704323474.png

As long as you type something that begins with something from your choices, you'll get a result:

JorisVanBossche_2-1659704383426.png

But as you type something else, for example 'grind' with is a part of one of my choices, there is no result:

JorisVanBossche_3-1659704452846.png

So is there a way to type/search for a part of your choices?

3 Replies

@JorisVanBossche This is default behavior in SharePoint, search in choice column options works with StartsWith search and it does not allow Contains search.

You can change this behavior for list forms by customizing the form using Power Apps. But unfortunately there is no OOTB way to change this behavior in Grid views (quick edit) in SharePoint list.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

There is not something like using an * to search for a part?

@JorisVanBossche No. * wild card search works with search box in top navigation for list items but not for choice column options.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.