script to copy files from on premise file server to SP ONLINE

Copper Contributor
  •  
    You cannot vote on your own post

I have a script that I found in many forms online that I re-tooled to work in my environment.

The purpose of the script is to copy files from local File Server to a Library on my SharePoint Online.

I have it working to the site I want it to go to as long as the site's "Members Group" has Write Access to the sub directory. in this scenario, I need to limit access to this library and don't want the Sites "Members Group" to have access.

when I remove the "Members Group" and add explicit permissions for the Licensed O365 User that executes the upload, I get these errors:

You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression.
    At C:\TESTMove_file.ps1:70 char:5
    +     $FileUploaded = $FolderToUpload.Files.Add($FileCreationInfo)
    +     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [], RuntimeException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvokeMethodOnNull

Cannot find an overload for "Load" and the argument count: "1".
    At C:\TESTMove_file.ps1:73 char:2
    +     $Context.Load($FileUploaded)
    +     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MethodCountCouldNotFindBest

Exception calling "ExecuteQuery" with "0" argument(s): "The remote server returned an
    error: (401) Unauthorized."
    At C:\TESTMove_file.ps1:74 char:5
    +     $Context.ExecuteQuery()
    +     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : WebException

I haven't been able to find a reason this wouldn't work? Please advise.

thanks

4 Replies

@DH_Savage,

Did you give these named users Contribute or Edit permissions?  The members group has Edit by default and I've seen strange behavior if you drop to Contribute.  

@Doug Allen 

yes the User that I use to Connect to Sharepoint is in the "Owners" group for that document library.

I have even explicitly granted it Full control over the library.

@DH_Savage,

Besides the script, was there a reason why you weren't using the free SharePoint migration tool to migrate the files instead of the script?  

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointmigration/fileshare-to-odsp-migration-guide

@Doug Allen 

Yeah, trying to automate it, schedule it for when a file is created in the on prem directory.