Scoping of search in team site / communication sites

Microsoft

Hi!

I am working on the modern search experience in sharepoint. One of the things that we have had some feedback on is the scoping of search when searching from a team site or a communication site. I would like to ask you what you think of the current experience and if / how you would like to have it.

The idea is that when you do a search from the site we will surface the search results scoped to the site you have search from. You can then choose to upscope the search to all Sharepoint results by clicking the Sharepoint link in the search breadcrumb in the following picture.

breadcrumb.png

What do you think about this feature?

23 Replies
I like the current scope how it works, however, I would change the UI a bit so that users know, hey "Click here to search all of SharePoint" or something like that. Most technical people know you can click that for scope, but "Users" probably won't understand.
I think the default experience is correct, but agree that clicking SharePoint to search everything is not intuitive. I have had multiple users at two different clients ask me about how to search everything. There needs to be something more explicit!

Why not something similar to amazon. For ex when you look for watches it takes you to Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry section and you can change the search scope to all departments within the searchbox itself. I think some thing similar for sitecollection and sharepoint search would be helpful. User can upscope to  All SharePoint to get results from entire sharepoint from site specific search

Amazon1.PNGAmazon2.PNG

Yeah that would be nice for scope instead of just type. However also something to keep in mind. Whatever you guys decide. Do a few different methods and give your people choice in the SharePoint admin center ;). That way you can reach and make more people happy having more than one way instead of trying on an exact way that you think works best for all. You don’t have to go crazy with options but a handful is always nice!

This is a great addition and will be helpful, however its implementation needs some more work.

I agree with the others that this is not intuitive, there are no visual cues or indicators that help the user discover this functionality. Replacing the word "sharepoint" with "search all sites" or something similar would make it obvious.

I agree that the label "SharePoint" could be more intuitive and self-explanatory. .

In addition, I would very much like to have an additional scope available: The Hub.
As I have posted here, https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint/Search-across-sites-from-associated-hub-sites/td-p..., I would very much like to have the "Search across sites" search option be enabled or at least available on all associated sites as well, and not only on the hub site.
This could be an option on the Site Information page for the associated sites, or on Site Settings -> Search Settings, or similar. Maybe allow from the following alternatives:
- Global
- Site Collection
- Hub (only available if site associated to a hub)
- This Site only
This could be the default search behavior when the user starts typing, and hits Enter. When entering the Search Result page, the same alternatives could be made available to the user.

Hope this helps. :)
Kind Regards,
Frank

Hi - my feedback - still need an ability to place custom scopes here - they can be links to the 'classic' search experience.  Alot of the clients where I've helped on search have used this on the classic method to provide custom pages into specific areas of their businesses - eg 'projects', 'compliance', 'intranet' vs 'everything'.

I dont mind if you place the 'SharePoint' word as a default - but I'd like to have the option to change it to something more relevant to the Client I'm working with. In terms of the big picture on search - there needs to still be the ability to provide custom results pages - the office graph can be clever, but in some situations we dont need clever we just need 'the same for all users, but refined by security' on search scopes.

Hope that helps!

I agree with Frank-Ove. The option to have a default scope: 'the hub' for all associated sites would be very helpful. 

Hi!

If you do a search directly from an associated site, the breadcrumb should show three parts. Sharepoint -> Hub site -> associated site. This is an example:

breadcrumbhub.pngIf this is not seen when searching from an associated site, its a bug. If so, please post me a private message or create a support ticket and we will investigate this issue.

@Richard Burdes We are also working on sorting out customization for the modern searchbox and search results page. We still have some work left on this.

Thanks for the tip on making the breadcrumb customization, we have also been thinking about adding custom verticals like the current all, sites, files and people.

@Geir-Magnus Pettersen When do you anticipate releasing the new search functionality? Will you be releasing the ability to do metadata search refiners?

It would be great if you could change the up-scope search language to something other than "SharePoint".  We conducted several rounds of usability testing on our Intranet currently in development and this caused a lot of confusion. 

We will process all of the great feedback you have provided us and come up with a new design that is more descriptive.

When these designs are in place I will propose that we can share this on the community with you for some initial feedback before implementation. We have not done this in the past so will need to talk to the rest of the crew if they think this is a good approach.

Cannot promise any ETA, but July has been summer vacation month in norway for out team so I will be able to get back to you with a more spesific ETA after we have discussed this with the rest of the crew in August.

This is something we are very interested in, as well: The ability to further customize the search experience from a modern communication page. The biggest need it the ability to default to all SharePoint sites. (The "SharePoint" breadcrumb link from the "Search this site" results page.) To be able to allow the use select to search either the site or all sites would be huge, as well as the ability for the site administrator to define the default search scope (This Site vs. All Sites) Thank you for your focus on this!

Is there already a solution to change "Search In Site" in to a global SharePoint search??

Hi!

There currently are no way to customize if you want to search in the scope of the site or the tenant wide scope. But we are considering setting default search scope to tenant wide instead of site scoped as the default behavior.

Hi!
There currently are no way to customize if you want to search in the scope of the site or the tenant wide scope. But we are considering setting default search scope to tenant wide instead of site scoped as the default behavior.

Hi,

Tenant wide scope is nice to have feature. By when can we expect or any ETA ?

Hi!

Hi,

Tenant wide scope is nice to have feature. By when can we expect or any ETA ?