Schedule a web part (or embedded site page) to display and then hide again in Sharepoint Site

Copper Contributor

Hi there

I need to be able to schedule a form (built in Laserfiche) to display on a particular page at a particular date/time and also to schedule it to hide again. 

The form is just a URL link and I'm happy to have that in a web part or on its own page embedded into the general information page. 

Eg: I have a page called Senior Basketball with general information about training days and commitment information etc. Then at a certain date/time the registration form will open & then close. It's the link to this form that I need to schedule. 

Any brilliant ideas out there? 

Thanks heaps. 

Alison

2 Replies

@AlisonC2099 there's no out-of-the-box way to schedule the display and un-display of a link or other  item on the page. So the way I would do this (other flavours of a solution may be available) is with a news web part.

1. Make sure that for the Site Pages library major and minor versions is enabled. That will then allow scheduling.
  2. In your Site Pages list add a new date & time column called Unpublish.
  3. Add a news web part to your SharePoint homepage and set it to show just 1 item.
  4. Edit the web part and in the pane that appears scroll down to the Filter section and select Page properties. Then in the page properties section select your Unpublish column Equals and [Today]
    11c-Filter.png

5. Create your news item and before you publish it, click on Page Details at the top of the page and in the panel that appears set the date and time to publish the page and enter the date you want to hide it in the Unpublish column.

11a-Scheduling.png

6. At the scheduled time the news page will publish and will appear in the news web part:

11b-NewsWebPart-Publiashed.png
  7. And on the date that you specified in the Unpublish column the story will disappear, unfortunately not be replaced by a white space but by the default Add News. There's nothing we can do about that either with this method or the more complicated method in Power Automate. But it does at least hide your form/link.
    11d-Expired.png

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

That’s brilliant. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question Rob. I really appreciate it. I had actually just started playing with news yesterday but definitely didn’t get this far. Thanks again.
Alison