Saving to SharePoint Online from Desktop

Deleted
Not applicable

So I have a user who is a member of a Office 365 group.  He wants to know how to save directly to the document library within the Group.  Demonstrating the save to Sites to him we notice that his directories are not available and the message indicates the following:  "Unfortunately, you do not have permissions to access this site. Please contact your system administrator"  (see attached)

As the administrator I found this odd as he has permission to the document library/group. We then chose "More Option.." above the error message.  This then opened the location of the document library where he then saved the file, no problem.   So he had the appropriate permissions...why would it indicate he didn't and require him to select "More Option.".  

Has anyone else experienced this behavior? Do we know why?

3 Replies

Hi Melissa,

Is this user a guest in your tenant, or a full fledged user in your tenant?  If he is a guest user in your tenant, I believe this is expected behavior at this time.  If not, though, there are several things on the desktop side that might be impacting his ability to save directly from Excel ranging from pending Office updates to network port restrictions or the version of OneDrive the user has installed.  If you haven't already had him try a reboot, that's always a good first step - and then you might also try repairing Office from Programs and Features.  It's also a good idea to check and see if there are any service notices in the Office 365 Admin portal that might be impacting this functionality - sometimes those things just clear up on their own!  :)

Thanks for this quick response.  The user is not a guest, I appreciate all the suggestions and will look into them.  

A similar issue I've encountered was caused by the user account from OneDrive Sync (if this is interfering somehow). Worthwhile logging out of the sync client and logging back in again. Whilst this might be unrelated to the issue you've got, there are always little weird and wonderful interactions taking place beneath the bonnet.