SOLVED

Save list as template on modern team site

Brass Contributor

I just noticed that it's not possible to use the "Save list as template" functionality which is located unter "Permissions and Management" in the list settings.

On a site collection that has been created as a classic one it is still possible. Should I activate any feature on the modern site or is it not possible in general?

13 Replies
You can manage to save the list as template by typing the save list as template url in the browser...but even you can save the list as template, you will see that the template is not going to be listed in the apps gallery to be used to create new lists

Depending on your needs i really would advice to use PnP instead of save list as template.

Yeah I agree, but in this case I just wanted to go the "quick and easy" way because I also wanted to take all the items with me...

At all I don't understand why the functionality is not visible anymore.

Ok i understand would ShareGate or other 3rd party software not be a better option?

Since this functionality has been in SharePoint ever since and most of the Business users/power users use this functionality quite often. 3rd party software won't be an option really :)
Agree...so go to your "custom" save as template option...this option seems to be retired by Microsoft, and AFAIK there is not a planned replacement in the short term
That's one of the reasons a lot of my customers are really annoyed by MS.

But anyways, thanks for your replies, guys.

Save list as a template not available, Audience targeting is also not available. Why MS is removing all the useful features in the name of improvement. 

I agree with the frustration stated by others on this feature being removed.  The inconsistent options between different SharePoint sites leads to end users just giving up.  PnP and Sharegate are not options; not everyone knows PnP or has Sharegate plus both of these options require SharePoint admin role.

I tested today and discovered that I can save a list as a template on modern Communication site but not Office Group connect modern team site.  Really?

best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

You have to "allow custom script" in order to see the Save list as template option.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Allow-or-prevent-custom-script-1F2C515F-5D7E-448A-9FD7-835D...

Any option to use it later to duplicate the list in a modern site?

That's the part I'm missing :(

You should better use Site Scripts / Site Designs to replicate your list or even PnP. In general, avoid to use the legacy Save as template option

@Juan Carlos González Martín I see these methods for new list instances. Any clue how we should realize offering custom list types as app from the New -> App menu? Use case here is that I want to offer the site owners a bunch of predefined lists with content types etc. so he can chose and create what he needs.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)