RSS feed or similar to update a web part

Copper Contributor

Hi

I have created a work portal in my service using SharePoint and I would like to create an automatically updated 'Fact of the day' web part with something like an RSS feed.

Problem is, there isn't an RSS web part

Any help would be greatly appreciated

6 Replies
Take a look at the SPFx GitHub repository...I believe there is a RSS WebPart there

@LukeSykes If you are using Team site, you can use SharePoint default RSS web part (not available in communication sites): 

ganeshsanap_0-1677667380968.png

Or you can use below RSS web part developed by community members using SPFx: RSS Reader react-rss-reader.gifYou can even download the code from GitHub, enhance it as per your requirements and use in your SharePoint site.

DocumentationOverview of the SharePoint Framework 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

For SharePoint/Power Platform blogs, visit: Ganesh Sanap Blogs

@ganeshsanap 

Just to confirm - there is no way of doing this on a communication site...

Can i embed an RSS feed from a team site in a web part on a communication site? Might sound a bit out there....

@LukeSykes Yes, no SharePoint out of the box option for communication site.

For your 2nd question, you can try this:

1. Create a site page in team site
  2. Add RSS web part on site page
  3. Embed site page from team site to communication site
  4. UI may not be perfect in this case but you can try and see if it works for you.

DocumentationAdd content to your page using the Embed web part 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

For SharePoint/Power Platform blogs, visit: Ganesh Sanap Blogs

@LukeSykes Without using an RSS web part or SPFx you can create this with a couple of lists, a flow, JSON view formatting and a list web part. We do this for a message of the day on our intranet. Let me know if something like this is what you want and I'll post the details:

4-SP-Result.png

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

Hi Rob

This sounds like a great idea

I'd love to hear more