ROLLING OUT: SharePoint Online team sites + Office 365 Groups & Pages

Microsoft

Today marks the beginning of bringing the full power of SharePoint to Office 365 Groups, with additional benefits to SharePoint Online all up! New and existing groups will get modern team sites, which come with an updated Home page, the ability to pin items within the new Quick links web part, and to see what's going on in the site via the new Activity web part. 

These team sites within Office 365 Groups, and existing team sites throughout SharePoint Online, will also have the ability to create publishing pages - fast, easy to author pages that support rich multimedia content, and look great on mobile browsers and via the SharePoint mobile app. Get ready to communicate and share your ideas within SharePoint like never before.

Additionally, Microsoft will increase the site collection limit in SharePoint Online to "up to 25TB" (previously "up to 1TB); this will be refelcted in an update to the official "SharePoint Online boundaries and limits" support article.

Please review the associated blog on blogs.office.com, "New capabilities in SharePoint Online team sites including integration with Office 365 Groups" with numerous links to new and updated support.office.com articles.

SharePoint_ModernTeamSite-Home_MAIN.png

Let us know what you think,

Mark

207 Replies
I believe, as far I remember from my readigs of what Microsoft has published so far, the answer is Yes

Hi,

1. I mean, if we are purchasing a subscription by default we are getting fro 100 users and binifits along with. If we want to updgraded our subscription from 100 users to 250 users, What extra benifit we will get from MS office 365 team.

3. If we found SharePoint online site or Project online site is slow, what option we will there for faster Performance.

Thanks

1.- If you upgrade from 100 users to 250 users, you will get extra storage...there is no any other benefit from Microsoft.
3.- Then you need to diagnose and troubleshoot why you have experiencing this slow performance and after your findings, think on solutions
Can we test the new modern pages in our first release developer tenant today?

I think it depends on where it's your tenant and how Microsoft is doing the rollout in terms of rollout speed

Is there any way to check Microsoft rollout?
Being in Australia we're seem to often be last on the list :(

Also does it matter if first release is assign to a group only or should it be for the whole organisation?
AFAIK, there is not such a way. What I have seen other times is a kind of informative messages posted in the network telling the rollout status: 10 %, 30 %, 80 %, ...

A few years back we ran a project where the goal was to have one corporate intranet to avoid having information silos by closing down local solutions as well as making a clear distinction between Team Sites (work in progress and collaboration area for ongoing work with many contributors) and Publishing Pages (ready and quality assured information handled by one responsible editor arranged in a strict navigation hierarchy).

With this announcement the border between Team Sites and Publishing Pages is getting blurry. What's the thoughts from Microsoft and the rest of the community how to tackle information architecture, governance, etc. to avoid creating silos?

To my understanding this is positioned with a lot of freedom for the individual and each Group/Site owner can basically create their own local intranet which also might be restricted to a specific group of users.

So, what's your thoughts?

Hi Karl,
Not true, nothing is changing the border in that regard, as all current teams sites also have the "site pages" library today. The only thing changing is the WYSIWYG Editor and the displaying (mobile friendly, and stuff) of these pages itself. Teamsites don't just magically become publishing portals. The chosen terminology (publishing pages) might not have been the best, that I agree upon.

Is this feature available to anyone yet?  I would really like to try it out in our first release developer tenant:   https://ahsdev.sharepoint.com 

To me it should be easier to get the updated features for modern team sites.  I think it would be wise to follow the example of the Android beta program.  https://www.google.com/android/beta   When I opted into the Android beta program, immediately I got a push notification to update to the beta version of Android.  It should be that easy for a developer/testing tenant to update to the latest SharePoint feature such as these new modern team sites. 

Maybe this "misunderstanding" can be avoided as soon as you present the roadmap for "real" publishing pages and portals. When can we expect news on this front? 1,5 year ago you guys invested in a lot of energy around Next Gen Portals. It really looked promising! Can we now look forward to a comeback for Next Gen Portals, but based on the Sharepoint Framework?

Hi everyone.

We've now enabled the new Modern Pages experience for 'Selected Users' in our First Release program. Please use this thread for feedback as continue to roll out over the next few weeks. Thanks!

-Dave

How will you know if your a selected User?

Hi Scott,

When setting up the First Release program for a tenant, admins can choose to enroll their entire tenant, or just select users to the program. Our initial 'ring expansion' is being made available to the latter group, and as we evaluate the release we'll soon expand it to a random subset of tenants enrolled in the program. Over time we'll expand that group until it encompasses the entire First Release program.

Thanks!
Dave

Does that then mean I can now add specific Users within my Tennant to have the features available to?

Yes, if you'd like them to be part of the broader First Release program. See here for a more complete explanation:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Set-up-the-Standard-or-First-Release-options-in-Office-365-...
Hi Dave,

Just to confirm my understanding no tenants selecting First Release Full Org will receive Modern Pages initially. Can you explain this more please? I would have thought Full Org would be a default choice. For example, in a test focused tenant it would be useful to test across 'all users' to get a broad sense of the changes. I must admit I was sitting waiting for this. It might be worth updating the original blog to let the FR community know about this approach as I don't recall this rollout method being used before. Thanks.
Hi John,

The phrase 'initially' was really meant to convey the first few days. We expect to begin rolling out to a subset of full tenants early next week. Like we do with our standard rollouts, we phase the First Release program rollouts so that each subsequent ring expansion is met with high quality. You'll still be able to test Modern Pages in a test focused First Release enrolled tenant ahead of our broader release. We love that you're excited to try out Modern Pages, and we'll keep you updated here with how the rollout is going.
Hi Dave, Thanks for the clarification, appreciate the quick reply.

Thank you!

I can now create new page using the modern authoring canvas ... Will be testing this arvo.

However, is it expected behavior that I still cannot access 'Site Settings' or ' Site contents' from the cog? (it loop back to the Shared Document Folder)