ROLLING OUT: SharePoint Online team sites + Office 365 Groups & Pages

Microsoft

Today marks the beginning of bringing the full power of SharePoint to Office 365 Groups, with additional benefits to SharePoint Online all up! New and existing groups will get modern team sites, which come with an updated Home page, the ability to pin items within the new Quick links web part, and to see what's going on in the site via the new Activity web part. 

These team sites within Office 365 Groups, and existing team sites throughout SharePoint Online, will also have the ability to create publishing pages - fast, easy to author pages that support rich multimedia content, and look great on mobile browsers and via the SharePoint mobile app. Get ready to communicate and share your ideas within SharePoint like never before.

Additionally, Microsoft will increase the site collection limit in SharePoint Online to "up to 25TB" (previously "up to 1TB); this will be refelcted in an update to the official "SharePoint Online boundaries and limits" support article.

Please review the associated blog on blogs.office.com, "New capabilities in SharePoint Online team sites including integration with Office 365 Groups" with numerous links to new and updated support.office.com articles.

SharePoint_ModernTeamSite-Home_MAIN.png

Let us know what you think,

Mark

207 Replies

Hi Philine - 

More layouts to come! The single column layout is just the first one out the door. Multicolumn layouts are absolutely a feature we are actively working on.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the spacing around the site header/placeholder image and nav. Smiley Happy 

Hi Michael - 

There will not be server side web parts in modern Site Pages. However, we are bringing Add-ins into modern Site Pages in conjunction with client side web parts. 

@Juan Carlos González Martín

>We've also discovered and reported a bug that if you have Doc-ID enabled a site collection

>then the New Authoring Canvas can't resolve the URL (so, inserting docs doesn't work).

What about this?

Ok, slightly confused now as I thought Add-Ins and server side parts were largley the same thing. Are you saying that sharepoint hosted Add-ins will be supported but not the Provider-Hosted ones?

I will be using the new framwork for some types of work regardless but for integrating external data, what should I be looking at, going forward?

Michael,

Addins and client side web parts will both be supported moving forward. For a given scenario, you have choices on how you'd like to accomplish delivering the right solution for your customers. Both will continue to be supported, and expanded / improved upon. Hope that clarifies.

In the IOS SharePoint app how do you make a new style page load by default, instead of "Activity"?

Currently I have a new site "students" and three subsites. All four sites have the new style pages set as home but in the app, selecting "students" gives just the activity feed. For the three subsites though the quick links (left nav) loads the new pages.

When will custom web parts built from the sharepoint framework be available for use in modern pages?  Currently they are not deployable to tenants with First Release enabled (just to dev tenants as the app catalog doesn't support them yet).  I realize the SP Framework is in preview but it really does go hand-in-hand with modern pages and being able to know how we can use them going forward.

No ETA / clue when the team will add custom webparts support in modern page. I expect many news being announced at Ignite
Hi @Clint Lechner , Yes , modern pages and homepage are rolling out separately. Adding some folks for details if you have any questions @Alyssa Danesh , @Lincoln DeMaris

Hi -

Can you please roll it out to me? I am on the Office 365 Business Essentials. Thanks!

Corrected (ignore my question - I see @Tejas Mehta answered the question officially for permissions and groups/SharePoint sites). 

Copying here as it never hurts to be written twice:

"SharePoint does provide the ability for Site Owners to specify different permissions on resources. Office 365 Groups promises a permission model whereby all group members have access to the group’s resources across workloads (e.g. conversations, files, notebook, etc.). To deliver consistency, SharePoint site collections associated with a Group will also follow this model. So, a group (site) owner can add new permission levels and assign to new users or groups on a resource, but would not be able to remove the permission levels assigned to the group’s owners or members. We are working on delivering a new permissions management UX that will allow for group (site) owners to change the group members’ permission level from Edit to Read-only (and vice versa) but you would not be able to remove the members from resources in the SharePoint site collection."

Ooooh, Modern sites now support composed looks (even customized composed looks). So, if you add a custom color palette, it adjusts!  Very nice!  Even our friendly little swirly grey graphic on the front change as the palette colors change.

A nice little surprise!

Which aspects does the composed look effect?

• Bottom border of the header
  • Command bar icons
  • Item hover

If you already have a custom composed look set, you should automatically see those colours picked up, as seen in the screenshot below. If you haven’t created a composed look, you can either select one of the other available themes under the “change the look” setting, or create your own composed look. A great tutorial on how to create a composed look can be seen at Marc Anderson’s blog:

http://sympmarc.com/2015/04/30/using-the-sharepoint-color-palette-tool-to-create-customized-composed...

Here you go.  It really affects the entire page and is done quite well.  This site was RED and grey graphics was FAR darker.  Notice the blue touches everywhere and the graphic even has a VERY light blue tinge now.  Well done!  Site Contents, modern lists, etc, also follow the composed look too.

2016-10-05_12-53-37.png

It still needs the ability to change the page banner. Even the Delve bog can do that. I can't find any ignite content relating to custom branding. Was anything announced as I'm starting to get concerned. On a somewhat related note does anyone know when FR will be able to add custom sharepoint framework apps?

The ability to add web parts from the SharePoint framework, customize the banner, and search would do it for me. Done. Rollout. Smile. I would add global navigation to that list but could get by.

Given sharepoint framework access, I can sort out the rest

public render(): void {
    //truly horrific hack
    this.domElement.innerHTML = this.properties.description;
  }

= Source code editor.Smiley Happy

Does anyone know how to remove the banner? I have seen many examples where there is no banner. I have attached an example.

What banner are folks talking about here?  Can somebody attach a picture of this banner?