Restructuring Sharepoint Online - Folder structure

Copper Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I'm a Sharepoint novice and have a fairly wide ranging question for the community.

I am looking to update the way my company stores files and folders in Sharepoint Online. I am all over permissions, document libraries and how to make Sharepoint do what I want it to do but I am interested in how different business' structure their data.

We have ~50 employees and 7 business units.

We currently divide our data by business unit. How do you divide your data and files? 

Looking for opinions and ideas if you are happy to share your wisdom.

Many thanks,

KiriCCS

5 Replies
Start reading hub Hub Sites and Sites...for your setup one possible information architecture can be to create a Centrl Hub and for each Business Unite provide a site joined to the Hub. In each Site you can have one or more document libraries where you organize the content

@KiriCCS 

If it is team data with no need to bubble up data in each business unit then use a site collection per business unit and create an agreed fileplan/structure with each business unit.

If Intranet content then look at using hub sites to surface information or potentially just one Communictions site at the top level of SharePoint will do the trick. 

Thank you so much, I'l look at this.
Ok, great - this might workout. The existing structure is a site collection per business unit so might go back to business units and determine folder structure.
P.s thank you :)