Restricting views with anyone external sharing

Iron Contributor

I want to share a modern document library folder with anyone read only (i.e. external users). that works fine and they see what i expect them to see in the default view.

But is there a way to stop a user with a link to this location from changing the view?
The default view is what I'd like them to see - other views contain things like user names (who modified etc.) which would breach GDPR.
It would be great if you could share with a "locked" view. 

6 Replies
You can't edit view as an anonymous user. The only case this would happen is if you share with someone with logged in credentials in your org that might have access, but testing it, with true anonymous account you can't do anything but work with the files.

Sorry if I was not clear, I meant stop then switching to another pre-defined view not editing a view.

@Chris Webb wrote:
You can't edit view as an anonymous user. The only case this would happen is if you share with someone with logged in credentials in your org that might have access, but testing it, with true anonymous account you can't do anything but work with the files.

AFAIK, there is no way to keep someone from changing to a different view.

A possible work around would be to created a dedicated page with the content displayed and only allow access to that page. I have not tested this.

Doubt you could accomplish that with anonymous links. That's list item / file level. Really isn't any way that I'm aware of, I mean when they have access to the items they have access to the metadata associated with that item, so they could see it anyway when they open a document and look at the properties most likely.

Good point - and presumably an issue for many uses - particularly here in the world of GDPR.. That said, that would require a certain level of user skills - just displaying something in an easily selected view would somehow seem more "careless".

Yes, I had considered another page but that would be difficult to explain to the less technical staff who may need to publish docs in this way.

What would be nice, would be to be able to share with a URL that included the view. I can see that we will ahev situation's where the best default view for external viewing would be different form the one that might suit the work of most internal users. (I suppose your page idea could work that as well though).