SOLVED

Restricting access to specific files/folders

Iron Contributor

Certain groups and users have access to various document libraries or lists after we disabled inheritance. Works as expected. Is it possible now to remove a specific user's or specific group member's access to one or more specific files or folders? (Group A has access to Doc Lib '1' and Jane is a member of Group A. Is there a way to prevent Jane's access to one specific file in '1'? What if Jane is separately given access to Doc Lib '1,' not by membership in a group; is there a way then to prevent her access to a specific file?)

1 Reply
best response confirmed by Joseph Nierenberg (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Joseph Nierenberg If you want Jane to not have access to a particular document, you need to break inheritance at document level, remove the group that Jane is part of and then add individuals or groups that you want to continue having access to that particular document.

This is possible, however it gets really muddy when you start breaking permissions at document level. I would create a separate library to hold those highly confidential files controlling access if there is a need vs breaking inheritance to avoid access to one person in a group. My 2 cents!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Joseph Nierenberg (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Joseph Nierenberg If you want Jane to not have access to a particular document, you need to break inheritance at document level, remove the group that Jane is part of and then add individuals or groups that you want to continue having access to that particular document.

This is possible, however it gets really muddy when you start breaking permissions at document level. I would create a separate library to hold those highly confidential files controlling access if there is a need vs breaking inheritance to avoid access to one person in a group. My 2 cents!

View solution in original post