SOLVED

Replace site/Site Swap functionality missing

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to swap our (classic) root site to a new modern site. By using the instructions from https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/modern-root-site I did not manage to initiate the swap, because the 'Replace button' in the SharePoint Admin is missing.

I also tried using PowerShell, but then I get the following error:

Invoke-SPOSiteSwap : The operation is blocked due to maintenance. Please try again later
At line:1 char:1

I've tried pretty much everything:

- I'm owner and admin on the source and target site

- The target site is a communication site, so it should qualifiy for migration

- Running PowerShell as administrator

- Tried using the -Force parameter

- We are on Targeted release in the 365 Admin Portal

I've also noticed a lot of other users/companies experiencing the same error (http://www.edugeek.net/forums/cloud-services/218591-sharepoint-online-powershell-error-operation-blo...).

As we want to replace the classic root site as soon as possible (all our other sites are built on modern) I created this post. If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know. Thanks!

5 Replies
Open a support ticket, it seems the problem is happening on the backend

@Juan Carlos González Martín Thanks for the reply. I've already created a ticket with 365 support.

@Julian Maartens Have you had any luck with this issue yet?  I too created a support ticket.  The most recent reply was this morning. 

"Unfortunately our developer teams told me that this process that you wanted is not working due to a problem with the functionality error it needs to be taken care of by our escalation team, at the moment this function is having issues based on what they told me and what they understand is that a site swap of  a page is not possible and only the home page. We will still look for further information."

best response confirmed by Julian Maartens (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@bonniems Hi there. Actually I managed to fix this a few days ago.

I ran the SharePoint Diagnostic Tool (https://docs.microsoft.com/nl-nl/mic...o365-worldwide) first, but despite the plug-in not showing any errors or recommendations, I was not able to execute the PowerShell commands.

The solution: connect to SharePoint Online using PowerShell (Connect-SPOService), don't run any commands just yet. Now, visit the URL you want to migrate and run the diagnostic tool (see link above) from your browser. Any yellow or red warnings need to be fixed before you can actually migrate! If all checks are green, run the diagnostic tool again. Then wait a few seconds and run the PowerShell-commands to migrate the site. Using the -force parameter is not required.

Now the command should work. If it does not, make sure that:
- the PowerShell session is started before you run the diagnostic tool- your PowerShell-session was started using Global Admin- or (at least) SharePoint Admin-credentials- you are running PowerShell as administrator
- you are logged on to the same account on both the PowerShell session and the browser you're using (the diagnostic tool will do a background check to check if the username matches)

Otherwise I would recommend contacting Microsoft Support through the 365 Portal. Let me know if this worked for you!

@Julian Maartens Your steps worked perfect.  Thanks so much.  I still don't have the swap site option anywhere, but my root site is now a Communication site, and the former Team (classic experience) is put away.  

Again THANK YOU

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Julian Maartens (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@bonniems Hi there. Actually I managed to fix this a few days ago.

I ran the SharePoint Diagnostic Tool (https://docs.microsoft.com/nl-nl/mic...o365-worldwide) first, but despite the plug-in not showing any errors or recommendations, I was not able to execute the PowerShell commands.

The solution: connect to SharePoint Online using PowerShell (Connect-SPOService), don't run any commands just yet. Now, visit the URL you want to migrate and run the diagnostic tool (see link above) from your browser. Any yellow or red warnings need to be fixed before you can actually migrate! If all checks are green, run the diagnostic tool again. Then wait a few seconds and run the PowerShell-commands to migrate the site. Using the -force parameter is not required.

Now the command should work. If it does not, make sure that:
- the PowerShell session is started before you run the diagnostic tool- your PowerShell-session was started using Global Admin- or (at least) SharePoint Admin-credentials- you are running PowerShell as administrator
- you are logged on to the same account on both the PowerShell session and the browser you're using (the diagnostic tool will do a background check to check if the username matches)

Otherwise I would recommend contacting Microsoft Support through the 365 Portal. Let me know if this worked for you!

View solution in original post