Repeating Permissions

Copper Contributor

Greetings everyone,

I am new to SP online and am curious about what I am calling repeating permissions.  I can't find information concerning this issue and am wondering how to fix.  Please see the attached photo.

Thanks in advance,

Adam 

18 Replies
Is there any scheduled job running? Could see see these user/group within O365?

@Nitesh Ranjan I have not set up any jobs in O365.  Is there a way to check? 

You will need to talk with the people that have deployed SPO so you can know the source of tha"repeating" SharePoint Groups. It seems there was / is a process that is creating them

@acarey2748 Could you see these groups in O365 admin center.

@Nitesh Ranjan I do not.  From the SP Admin center, I can see my team sites.  When in O365 Admin center, I do have a group for Stores, but not for all of these repeating permission groups.  I apologize if I am not using the correct nomenclature.  

@acarey2748  we need some more info about that screen shot, when you click on one them, what is shown? is this an account created in Active Directory or an Office Group, we can't tell from this image. 

@Dean Gross So, on this SP team site, I have the default site permission groups of Full Control, Design, Edit, Contribute, and Read.  I created three other permission levels of Stores - Contribute, Stores - Full Control, and Stores - Read because I wanted to modify a few permissions.  The screen shot I attached is what I am seeing now, as if SP is populating these permission levels. 

@Dean Gross when I click on the permission group, it shows the group I created called Stores Members 

Sorry, but I still don't have enough information to identify the root cause of the issue.

You are talking about Permission Levels, these are different from Groups.
Permission Levels bundle together individual permissions so that they can be assigned consistently.
Groups get assigned Permission Levels and contain accounts

Something is creating all of those SharePoint Groups and assigning them to the Edit permission level, it could be a script associate with site creation process, powershell or a Flow,

@Dean Gross I apologize if I have mixed terms together.  I thought I created a permission groups that I could assign members to that had customized permissions.  I cannot view these groups anywhere else but in the Sharepoint site itself.  I have only two flows set up that shouldn't impact SP (one for saving attachments from email automatically to my Onedrive and the other that sends push notifications.  I haven't used powershell, except with the help of Microsoft, to disable the ability for others to create groups.  I attached a couple of screen shots that I am hoping will clarify what I am failing to explain.  

@Dean Gross sorry, only will let me attach one screen shot at a time. 

When you create a SharePoint Group it contains accounts and has default permission level assigned to it. When you go to a Document Library or List, the new group will have that default Permission Level, you can change this to another Perm Level, which provides the ability for 1 group to have different perms for different libraries. This provides a lot of flexibility, but can be confusing and difficult to maintain. My strong recommendation is to keep it a simple as possible and only change the permissions when absolutely required by a good business justification (a random person thinking that other people should not have the ability to edit something, is not a good enough reason).
you need to figure out where all of those groups came from, they did not show by magic :)

@Dean Gross Agreed.  I am sure they didn't come out of thin air and if they did, what an amazing trick.  Thank you for your advice, it is much appreciated! 

@acarey2748 I would suggest to check with Admin team if there is any flow or any job causing this. Ideally from SharePoint end, there isn't any feature to repeat the permisison

@acarey2748 I would suggest to check with Admin team if there is any flow or any job causing this. Ideally from SharePoint end, there isn't any feature to repeat the permission

@Nitesh Ranjan What if I am the admin team? :) 

take a look in the O365 Security & Compliance Center, search the Audit log for the appropriate events in that site to see if you can get some clues as to what might have happened