Reorganizing SharePoint - need some advise

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I'm tasked with reorganizing the SharePoint environment of one of our customers.

Current situation:

The current environment exists of several sites organized in 1 site collection with a subsite structure as follows:

• Top level site ("Team Site")
    • "Site A"
      • "Subsite A" (site with subsites per region)
        • "Region A"
        • "Region B"
      • "Knowledgebase"
      • "Statistics"
      • "Subsite B'
      • "Training"
        • "subsubsite 1"
        • "subsubsite2"
        • "subsubsite3"
    • "Site B"
      • "Statistics"
      • "Backoffice"

Now for the reorganisation, there are 2 options:

1. Reorganize the subsites as seperate site collections and link them together using a Hub site
  2. Move all the data to one site that has a document library for every site

Option 1 would be the easiest, but might be a bit difficult for users to understand and manage

Option 2 would be easier to work with and manage, but transfering data would take time and might not be practical, since I don't know how to transfer data to another site collection.

I've thought about the pros and cons for each option, but I would like the insight of some more experience users. Any feedback is appreciated!

5 Replies

Hello,

There really is not one (best practice) way to solve it, due to every organization having their way of working (AFAIK). However,

I would recommend creating channels in a team site, to replace the sub sites. In each channel you have your own chat history in Teams and a specific folder for that content. Each site (team site/com site), can have up to 25 TB data, so you should probably be fine with the limitations.

Regarding transferring data, if the sites are connected through a hub site, transfer is as simple as marking the folder, click on move and select appropriate site and so on.

Yours sincerely,
Aref Halmstrand

@WarreVlieghe 

Communication sites are amazing for content that should only be read-only by the majority of the company. Because Team sites have some major risks with every member being able to modify, add or even delete content in the site.

Yours sincerely,
Aref Halmstrand

@ArefHalmstrand 

So if I understand correctly, you would advise creating multiple libraries/folders on 1 site?

I didn't know that you could transfer data through hub site connections, I'll try that out soon.

Thanks for the advice, really appreciated!

@WarreVlieghe 

I was faced with a similar task.  What worked for us was building a Hub site with content that applies to everyone in our department with Spoke sites connecting for each of the teams, then each Spoke was designed to work for that team.  For example, one team has 2 Hero parts connecting to web parts with their content.  It looks way better and even some of our more reluctant users find it easier than the classic interface.

You can always map out different ideas and see what works for you.

@wvlieghe 

Yes that is correct, multiple libraries in one site (but with channels).

Please mark as best reply if this helped you out! :) 

Yours sincerely,
Aref Halmstrand