Removing certain characters in SharePoint list

Copper Contributor

Hi I have a list here which will un-avoidably have the question mark in a diamond symbol wherever the payment is printed. The payment figure and symbol can appear in any of the Remit columns shown here. Remit 1 - 7.

Is there anyway that SharePoint can remove these automatically when they appear in my list?

Thanks!

DevHuws_0-1678795292961.png

12 Replies

@DevHuws How you are adding data in this SharePoint list? Manually typing or copying from somewhere or adding it programmatically (Power Apps/Power Automate/PowerShell, etc.)? 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

For SharePoint/Power Platform blogs, visit: Ganesh Sanap Blogs

The data is programmatically uploaded from a Excel file using power automate. This excel is created and populated within the flow before uploading to SharePoint list therefore I don't know of any way I can alter it to remove these symbols before it reaches SharePoint.

Thanks!

@DevHuws Try using expression with string() function while adding data to SharePoint list: 

string('your text')

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Inside of the "Create item"?
When choosing what is input into the cloumn?

It is worth noting as well that this symbol appears in the excel too. before uploading
How would this expression look in power automate?

@DevHuws How you are creating and populating excel file withing Power automate flow? From where this data is coming to excel file?

Maybe you can check Power automate flow and see the source of this unwanted character and remove it from there.

Or you can try using JSON column formatting like: 

{
  "$schema": "https://developer.microsoft.com/json-schemas/sp/v2/column-formatting.schema.json",
  "elmType": "div",
  "txtContent": "=replaceAll(@currentField, '�', '')"
}

ReferenceSharePoint: Replace All Occurrences of Substring in a String using JSON Formatting 

It takes a csv file and converts it into an excel. The £ shows correctly in the csv but it converted to the diamond question mark symbol once it is converted to excel. Then the excel populates the list so the symbol also appears there. Thank you I will try the column formatting.
Column formatting worked!!!!!

@DevHuws Here are before / after results after using JSON column formatting:

Before

ganeshsanap_0-1678802943827.pngAfter

ganeshsanap_1-1678803112185.png

@DevHuws Great, glad it worked for you!

Hi,

Thank you for your quick and helpful replies!

An update for this. After my list is populated the data is later used to populate a word template. I have now noticed that the diamond question mark symbol returns and is displayed on the word document despite showing correctly in the list? Any ideas?

@DevHuws We are using JSON column formatting to hide the character in list view which only customizes the display of list data. It does not remove/hide the character from underlying column value.

That's why you are seeing this character in word document. Hence earlier I was suggesting you to remove this character from its source itself from Power automate flow or excel or from where you are pulling this data.