Reflecting SharePoint information back into Dynamics

Brass Contributor

Hi

I've been asking this question in the Dynamics forums, but thought I'd try and see if anyone in the SharePoint space had a similar issue.

I'm integrating with SharePoint and I'm trying to do the following things.

Upload a file (from dynamics) which will set off a flag depending on what that file is for (usually ID, Passport, Driving License, etc...).

I'm hoping that then I'd be able to reflect that flag back into Dynamics (I'm guessing flow might be involved at some point here) and/or set off an email to the seller (flow again).

Has anybody had any similar experiences. What experience I've had with SharePoint is now a few years old so I'm struggling a bit.

Thanks

Lee 

4 Replies

Hi @Lee-Martin ,

I have a bit of experience but not in specifically what you are asking. If you are trying to do anything outside of dynamics, i.e. by setting up Flows in SharePoint against the standard Dynamics/SharePoint file storage it would be extremely tricky as files are stored in some sort of GUID folder format. 

A developer I worked with did write some custom code to deploy a SharePoint document library for each account which seemed to work and then functionality of SharePoint could be used.

Something to watch out for if you haven't already is that if using the default SharePoint storage option from Dynamics that the permission model is not replicated and all files are open to the permissions that you setup on the SharePoint Site. 

Andy

Hi Just above to revisit this.

Are you saying this is not possible without using custom code?

Thanks
Lee

Hi @Lee-Martin ,

I am not entirely certain what you are trying to do but the following is what you need to be aware of :-

1. Trying to do anything specifically in SharePoint on the files that Dynamics store is a nightmare as the storage structure of the files wont make much sense.

2. Trying to create flows on the SharePoint files I think would be a none starter, you should try and target the actions that are being completed in Dynamics instead, such as "New Record", New Task etc. 

3. Permissions in Dynamics are not mapped to SharePoint, you so need custom code or a 3rd party tool to map Dynamics permissions to SharePoint. 

Hope that helps

Andy

@Andrew Hodges 

Basically if I upload passport documents to SharePoint I need a checkbox (for Passport)  in Dynamics to be autoticked in Dynamics

Same as if it's a Driving License etc...