SOLVED

Redirect Onprem to Online

Copper Contributor

I am working on migrating on prem site over to Online. once thats done i am looking to redirect the On prem site over to Online so that if any users try to access On prem site would be routed over to Online. 

any suggestion will be appreciated.

6 Replies
I think you have several ways to do this...in a Project my Team did last year, what we did is to put the site migrated in read only mode and just add a banner with the URL of the site in SPO
best response confirmed by ianpokhrel (Copper Contributor)
Solution
It all depends on your current configuration. There are a few ways to do this that I've used.

1. Put SharePoint pages you migrate into Read Only mode. You can then add a script to the landing page and have it redirect to the online page.
2. Have an internal URL forwarder (We had a Barracuda Load balancer handle it) that forwards the URL to another URL. You would point internal DNS ip for the domain to the URL Forwarder, then it would forward on. You can even use an IIS server you might have and utilize forwarding there as well.
3. Same as 2. But if you have externally hosted DNS for your domain, some of those have DNS forwarders where you can forward a domain record to another domain

@Chris Webb  when you say adding Script to the landing page, did you mean adding a banner or a text webpart and provide a URL so users clicks that link to navigate them to the new page?

Neither. Classic pages when edit, have a script block you can add script too in the tool bar, but your landing page still has to be a classic one for it to work.

@Chris Webb gotcha. yes i am aware of script block, but not quite sure what script do i need to add to make redirect possible. can you please shed some light on that ?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ianpokhrel (Copper Contributor)
Solution
It all depends on your current configuration. There are a few ways to do this that I've used.

1. Put SharePoint pages you migrate into Read Only mode. You can then add a script to the landing page and have it redirect to the online page.
2. Have an internal URL forwarder (We had a Barracuda Load balancer handle it) that forwards the URL to another URL. You would point internal DNS ip for the domain to the URL Forwarder, then it would forward on. You can even use an IIS server you might have and utilize forwarding there as well.
3. Same as 2. But if you have externally hosted DNS for your domain, some of those have DNS forwarders where you can forward a domain record to another domain

View solution in original post