SOLVED

Recover documents in document libraries with no versioning

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I accidentally updated a document in SharePoint Online. I want to revert it to an older version, but when I checked whether it keeps the version history, I found that this setting is set to "No versioning" on the Document Library level. Is there a way to recover / revert to an older version if it's set to "No versioning"?

Jason

2 Replies
best response confirmed by JasonYeung (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi @JasonYeung 

I believe the setting should be enabled by default upon creation. But if for any reason it was not, unfortunately it is possible to restore from versioning. You could try to restore the library from:

Setting > Restore this library option. But that would of course restore the entire document library to a previous time. The restore will undo all the actions that occurred on both files and folders in the library. 

aneetz_0-1663132454387.png

You can check out this article for more info.

@aneetz ,

Thanks for the information. I have enabled the tracking for the document library affected. As restoring the entire library would affect changes to all the documents, there would be too many changes. I won't restore the entire library as a result, but it's good to know that this option is available. We'll recreate the file instead.

Jason

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JasonYeung (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi @JasonYeung 

I believe the setting should be enabled by default upon creation. But if for any reason it was not, unfortunately it is possible to restore from versioning. You could try to restore the library from:

Setting > Restore this library option. But that would of course restore the entire document library to a previous time. The restore will undo all the actions that occurred on both files and folders in the library. 

aneetz_0-1663132454387.png

You can check out this article for more info.

View solution in original post