"The label that's applied to this item prevents it from being edited or deleted"

Copper Contributor

I have a modern site that's using several lists for basic data entry, nothing particularly complex. There's about 20 lists which all derive from the same list template, so they're all identical in terms of columns.

In just one of the lists I am unable to delete the entries. When I bulk select 100 items and press delete, I see the following errors:

2020-07-03 09_16_38-Window.png

As far as I'm aware nobody else has this list open. If I click 'Delete anyway', I then see the following error message:

Toby958_0-1593764347693.png

I'm not sure what this means? The lists do have a retention label field as an option, but all are set to 'none' by default. There is no difference between this list and the identical ones that do allow me to bulk delete records?

Any help would be great, thanks

2 Replies

@Toby958 

Have you tracked down those particular items that have haven't been deleted, I have only ever seen the message when a  label is applied. I would suspect a user has applied the label to some items by mistake or because they could. 

Andy Hodges | ThinkShare | www.thinkshare.uk

@Andrew Hodges 

I was able to delete the link by changing the apply retention label to "None" in the properties.

1) Click on the info Icon in the top right corner
2) Click Edit for thr properties section
3) Change "Apply Retention label" to "None"
4) Save and now you should be able to delete it.

Hope this helps.

It looks like Microsoft block all files with label "File-10-years-retention" from deleting or editing. May be while creating links or adding any files keep the retention Label to "None" so you don't have to face this issue.