"Sorry, you don't have access" when trying to create a lookup column?

Iron Contributor

I'm working on a SharePoint Online site where I'm creating a content type. The content type requires a column where the user uses a lookup field to select from a list of projects.

When I'm creating the column and select the checkbox 'Lookup (information already on this site)' to change the column type, the page displays "Sorry, you don't have access".

I have full control (owner) permissions for this site, as well as its root site collection. Does anybody know how I can get rid of this access denied error? It allows me to create other column types, e.g. choice fields or single line of text fields, just not a lookup field.

Thanks

6 Replies

Hi Toby,

do you have also permissions to the (Lookup) list?

Regards
Jens

I have the exact same problem. The weird thing is that the message appears immediately after selecting the "Lookup (information already on this site" option; I don't even get to select a list for the lookup. So, it's not an issue of "access to the lookup list", at least not philosophically.

FWIW, it's a "Microsoft Teams" site (not a "Team site").

Is this a bug, or an "undocumented feature"?

@Toby McDaid Hi I have also faced recently the same issue. The problem is that the user who is adding Site Lookup Column is not Admin/ Site Collection Admin on that Site although he is owner of that modern team site. To make him admin go to Admin center --> SharePoint --> Search for your site through preview option and then add him as Admin. The problem will be resolved.

Come on guys!

Why should Full Control permission roles not be able to add Lookup columns (like already was possiblebefore)... being a Site Collection Admin to do this is crazy right?!

@LohnDjango At least if you create the lookup type column at list level it's possible, allowing you to choose between the lists you have permissions. 

It makes no sense that it cannot be done at the column site level...

Still today the problem occurs. Full Control = Full control but not in SPO...